What's The Difference Between Bflat & C

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by mfuller1950, Aug 27, 2005.

1. mfuller1950

mfuller1950 New Friend

Aug 26, 2005
    When I was a music major back in the late 60's the university that I attended all the trumpet majors played Bach "C" Large bore trumpets and Bach "1" or "1c" mouthpieces. After getting back into playing after 30 years picking a appropriate mouthpiece one needs to be an engineer. I now read adds that this mouthpiece or that one is good with a "C" trumpet or a "Bflat" trumpet so what makes the difference. Sorry if the question sounds dumb, but would like to know what makes a good mouthpiece for a "C" trumpet ??

Tnx in advance

mfuller

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    It all boils down to playing on whatever makes you sound the best. Certain makers will make different length mouthpieces for different horns, but it is not really necessary. If you play on a Bach 1C mp, it will work on both Bb and C just fine.

3. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    If you're too much of an engineer, you'll only hurt yourself. As BBW said, a Bach 1C will work fine in a Bb and C. There are plenty of people who don't switch, and there are plenty of people who do switch. If you'd like individual mouthpieces for each horn, Monette, GR, and Curry make models for Bb and C that should match pretty nicely.