What's the difference between mouthpiece sizes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Higgiq

Higgiq New Friend

Oct 12, 2009
    20 years ago when I played a lot I used a Bach 3c (drilled out by my teacher) for 'classical' work and a Schilke 14a4a (again, drilled out) for jazz (lead) work. Life took over and I didn't really play for 20 years. Now I am playing 1st parts in a community concert band and am slowly working myself into shape again. Since I have been out of the trumpet world for so long my knowledge is suffering.

Here is my mouthpiece question. I have found I like the feel of the Schilke rim better than the Bach but I also like the feel of blowing into the Back better than the Schilke. What mouthpiece would combine the rim of my Schilke with the openness of my Bach?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Post again in 6 months. I don't believe it. It is just "different" for the moment. Like shoes, you find out after time if blisters develop.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A Monnette B4S should do the job nicely. Welcome to TM!

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Uhh, bigger ones are larger than the smaller ones?

5. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Your 14A4a has the tight backbore (the second "a" designates that). It also has the shallow cup (first "A"). I would try a Schilke 14A4 first; that uses the regular "c" backbore and it feels at least as open as a Bach 3C backbore to me. If that isn't enough, it could be that the cup doesn't have enough volume; you could try a "B" cup in that case.

hichez likes this.
  6. Higgiq

Higgiq New Friend

Oct 12, 2009
    Thanks all, I'm going to see what I can find to try around here tomorrow.

7. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    If you want good tone you have to listen to trumpet players with a tone you like. Wikipedia has a huge list of jazz and classical trumpet players. There has to be one in that list that you think sound perfect to you right now. Its ALRIGHT if your taste changes over the years. Also even if you don't like jazz listen to it. At first Chris Botti had the right tone for me but now I like the sound of Alison Balsom.

8. Higgiq

Higgiq New Friend

Oct 12, 2009
    I'm really happy with my tone right now (except some of those darn high notes). What I am after is more comfort. After some preliminary experiments I'm not sure a Bach mouthpiece is what I want right now. They feel to 'sharp' on my lips.

9. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Be careful about searching too much for the right mouthpiece -- You can end up with huge expenditures buying and trying different mouthpieces trying to find the best one for you and after lots of time and money wasted you'll have a lot of mouthpieces and be no better off than you are now.

If you like the tone of the Bach but don't like the rim and you like the feel of the Schilke rim but you don't like the tone, you should contact mouthpiece makers such as Bob Reeves or Curry or Warburton or Laskey and see how they describe their mouthpieces and ask if they have anything which would combine the rim and the cup/backbore you like. But realize that words can't adequately describe things that we know by feel. The best thing might be to find a large music store which will actually let you try the mouthpieces out. Go armed with a couple of different etudes or solos which contrast (one slow and lyrical and the other fast and technical) and play the same passages on the same trumpet with various mouthpieces. Keep a written record of each mouthpiece you try, noting what you liked and disliked and what was easy/difficult to play with it. It would be best if you could find a store where you could speak with experienced trumpet players for help in choosing mouthpieces to try. A place like Dillon Music in NJ or ProWinds in Indianapolis or Rayburn's in Boston would be best.

10. Higgiq

Higgiq New Friend

Oct 12, 2009
    I have been to the local store and tried what they had. I have also tried a couple that a friend has. Right now I am playing 1st parts in the local community band and I get very tired by the end of rehearsal. I guess for now I will stick with my Schilke 14a4a. I used to do the majority of my playing on the Bach. Perhaps as I get stronger the Bach will feel good again.