What's the difference between mouthpiece sizes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Jun 12, 2009.

1. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    You shouldn't be tired by the end of rehearsal -- not if you're practicing properly and focusing on breathing properly to play well.

I played on Bachs for years, principally using the Bach Megatone 1C for the past 20 years until I attended ITG convention in Harrisburg and had a chance to try a lot of different mouthpieces. I settled on a Laskey 84B and have been working on that for the past 5 months and am feeling better and playing better than ever with it.

I was using a regular Bach 1C (had been since college, 5 years earlier) when I tried the Schilke 14A4a on the advice of a friend who loved it. I used it for about a month or so but could never get used to the different shape of the rim and went back to the Bach. I have since found that my mouth isn't comfortable playing on any mouthpiece without a Bach-type rim.

2. Higgiq

Higgiq New Friend

Oct 12, 2009
    I shouldn't be tired at the end of a rehearsal except I haven't really played in 20 years and now I am playing first parts for a 2 hour rehearsal. Yes, I have become a wimp but with practice I am getting my stamina back. Lasted the whole rehearsal last night without singing any of the last piece instead of actually playing it! I've also got my range back to a good high C (except at the end of the 2 hour rehearsal!)