What's the Differences.....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, Feb 18, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    .....between B and C mouthpieces. I've always played on a C piece but never understood why some friends played on a B. I've never seen one is shop before. Can someone explain.

Thanks

2. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
  3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    thanks
    but which is better for which style of playing or player

4. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    On which mouthpiece?
    On ones labeled like Schilke, B is shallower, giving support in the upper register, and a bit brighter tone.
    On ones labeled like Bach, B is deeper, giving a more dark sound.

5. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Mostly Bach
    but if you guys recommend good pieces I'll look into them

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The Bach B cup is deeper than the C. The Bach B-cup mouthpieces have a different, more open backbore, too. Most players will get a richer sound on a mouthpiece with a B cup, but they are usually more demanding to play.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

There are LOTS of great mouthpieces out there. Before you go looking for a different one, you need to ask what's wrong with the one you're playing now? A Bach 3C is a great mouthpiece that gives you a lot of flexibility (Arturo Sandoval played on one for a long time so it's not just for students).

Instead of looking for something new, why don't you try to build your chops to a point where you can play everything you need to on your current setup (pedal C to double C) and THEN decide what's missing.

The longer you put off the mouthpiece safari (that we all seem to go through) the better...

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi spiritdci,
    If you go the the Vincent Bach website and go to the mouthpiece section, they have a chart which will explain what the letters mean.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Buy your mother or girl/boyfriend some clothes without taking them with you and you will understand why recommendations for things intimate like a mouthpiece don't work.

YOU are unique and only someone with good ears that goes with you to the store can tell you anything about the results. The internet is not a good place for intimate things.

10. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I know...forgive for defending myself. I never said I'd buy a piece you recommended. I only said I'll look into it. I try everything out before I buy it. Shopping in the dark is a retarded way to spend your money.