whats the diffrence?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet520, Feb 14, 2007.

1. trumpet520

trumpet520 Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    i have a question about consistency. Lastnight at jazz band rehearsal i was screaming double Es and Gs and i was really proud of myself. But it seems like the only time i play this high is at jazz band. Every morning in concert band rehearsal and orchestra i have trouble hitting high Gs and As consistently. I was wondering if this is some subconcious thing or what.

Its getting really frustrating trying to figure it all out.

it also seems like i have my best tone at my quintet practices. What is up with this?!?!?!?!?

2. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Are you using differant horns? Mouthpieces?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trumpet520,
    lets get the range straight. A double E is not the one on the 3rd ledger line above the staff. That is merely a high E. The same goes for the G above that. The "double" octave starts with the C that is the space above the 5th ledger line above the staff. If you can scream real DOUBLE Es AND Gs, you should be able to play 2 octaves lower the next day.
    If you beat your face up at night with high Es and Gs, you will have problems the next day - period. If you are supporting your range with the proper breathing and body use, you can minimize the damage. If the morning rehearsal is important, you may have to demonstrate a little (lot) more self control before turning your chops into hamburger the day before.
    A small ensemble like a quintet allows you to hear yourself more intimately than in a concert or big band setting. That is why you sound best there.
    If you are looking for reasons to drive yourself crazy, you will find them.
    If you were taking lessons from me, I would probably put you on a steady diet of controlled breathing, lip slurs and long tones to get some consistency into your playing. I get the impression you do not think very much about what you are playing until after you have played it. That is usual for players that can't play consistently. There is absolutely no reason to be frustrated. You need to get mad - at yourself. Play more consiously, don't try to show off. A little bit of constraint could solve everything that you have mentioned. The proof is also not in 2 or 3 days. Building up reliable chops takes weeks, months, even years or diligent practice.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  4. trumpet520

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    oh sorry, i thought anything over a high c was double but anyways, i use a blessing 3c and bach tr300 horn for everything. And i ussually dont beat myself up at jazz band to bad because i play 4th but i play the highnotes with the lead player on the optional octave up parts because we are the only ones who can play up there.

also i have just started doing the arbans with my teacher and im working on the lip slurs, long tones and such.

thanks for the feed back.

5. trumpet520

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    also rowuk what exactly do you mean by "body control" and how do i practice "controlled breathing"

6. barato

barato New Friend

Jan 17, 2007
    Somewhere in Ohio
    Do your high notes (the A, G, E, and whatever else) which you play sound full and precise? Not the swaying sound which pin points playing that high as very diffucult. Do you pinch when you play (bring tension to the lips/mouth area and limit air flow in the throat)? What Rowuk means by body control is controlling how you use your lips, mouth, throat, and gut. Air control is just making sure you use your diaphram(lower gut area) to push air during high notes, while not pinching. *This makes notes sound full and precise. Make sure you are always consistent! Rowuk do you have anything to add? Also, make sure you tell the truth, if you don't you will not help yourself in this situation.
    Happy playing & typing,
    Howard

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    520, don't forget the difference between "power" and "control." It is much easier to scream in a big band than to soar in another context. If you've got some high chops, then now would be a great time to start working on control.

8. trumpet520

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    i see what your all saying, i have just discovered the pushing from your gut method about a month ago but i think my problem is with closing my throat when i play in all registers. any suggested remedies?

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Also, diaphragms don't push... they pull (as do all other muscles) down to fill your lungs with air. Check this link out http://freespace.virgin.net/pip.eastop/html/breath.htm]
    Keep your shoulders down and breath into your gut.

Playing early in the morning can also be more problematic for some people than later in the day when your entire body is warmed up after a night's sleep; consider some warm-up exercises including (or especially) postural and breathing.

Play those high notes tastefully and with full sound or don't take them up at all: the audience and your band mates will be much more appreciative.

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Exactly what I was going to say. At big band you probly hear the notes in your head before you play and blow them out with wild abandon.

In orchestra you have to hit the note with feness. Big difference and approach.

Body controll would be to relax. Don't tense up to screem out the note. Use the same idea as singing the note.

Breath controll would be to fill your lungs as much as possible and then more. Get that full feeling in your head and don't wait until you need air to breath in. Run on a full tank to 3/4 down and fill up again. There are a lot of places in Arbans to work on this and still learn something else with the same exercise. Ask your teacher.