whats the diffrence?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet520, Feb 14, 2007.

1. trumpet520

trumpet520 Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    it wouldnt let me see the link, but yes i agree that playing from 6:50 am to 9:00 am in the with a 15 minute break probably isnt going to bring out my best playing

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA

I have to say I use the same approach playing lead or playing 1st in an orchestra. I don't play "with wild abandon"... Everything I execute on a gig/rehearsal is a product of controlled practice and building an extremely consistent base.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I didn't mean that he should play lead that way. I meant that I'm guessing that's what he is doing.

Although I have done that playing lead and legit stuff. For me when I know the part it just flows out with out thinking about it at all.

4. trumpet520

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    oh yeah, what does keeping the shoulders down specifically do.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Usually when your shoulders are down you are relaxed with them up it's a sign that your tense

6. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Not to be too picky, but what do you eat for breakfast? Do you eat a lot of salty foods? Do you drink enough water in the AM? During rehearsals?
    Do you go to sleep relatively early?
    What kind of warm up do you do in the morning? Do you start gently, or do you just mash the mp on the face and hope for the best?
    These are the questions you should ask yourself. I am sure others will come up with more.
    Good luck,
    Keep in mind that everyone on this forum is dealing with the same issues, it's just a qustion of how we solve them.
    Don't be hard on yourself.

7. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I actually have almost the exact opposite problem. I've always considered myself a classical player, although I've dabbled in jazz to a small extent. I have what I would consider strong chops (strong enough that I've been able to play well despite some nasty habits, which is no blessing...).

My problem is that while I don't have problems with the range in most first trumpet orchestral parts, or in piccolo stuff, my range is infinitely smaller when I'm in jazz band. I play 4th in a band at school here and find myself dying at the end of a 90 minute rehearsal. I'm guessing the problem lies in the fact that I still have an orchestral sound in my head and am trying to power my way through fourth trumpet parts. I actually found that using a light-weight C trumpet with a smaller orchestral mouthpiece helped both my range and endurance, but that didn't go over well with the band director.

Sorry, wondered a little off topic there...

-Jimi

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The best explanations for body use are found at the Monette web site.
    David G. Monette Corporation
    They have to do with how much energy your body steals to even stand up when playing, how much tension is present in the neck and shoulders and the like. All of these Body Use issues can be essentially fixed for free although Yoga lessons help even more.
    Trumpet520, I see a trend here that you discover "problems" with yourself and your playing as they are mentioned in the various forums and posts. While most of the things that we discuss are present to one degree or another depending on the player, your pattern of responses shows a desperate need for a good teacher. 1 hour with someone qualified can save years of misinterpretation - especially from the myriad of internet doctors.
    Generally with young players, there is a desire to find that cheat - as it exists in the PC gaming world - to download and go around problems. The trumpet or even life in general does not work that way. A methodical, continuous building of strengths is the ONLY solution. Players wanting to jump immediately into the deep end of the pool usually end up drowning. Screaming high notes to the point that you can't get through easier material the next day shows great need for work in areas that will build strength and consistency. Nobody here can give you a short cut. Everybody has to pay their dues, the earlier you get started, the better your chances of success later.

Jimi,
    the 4th book in a jazz ensemble is not like 4th trumpet in concert band. If your chops are giving you problems, I would not suspect that it is your "classical" concept. I think you probably do not hear yourself very well when playing(do you stand next to the drums, bass or other loud electronic instrument?). Blow a little more in the direction of your music stand-it will reflect sound back to you giving your brain clues about what is happening. That could very well double your endurance!

9. trumpet520

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    i Do have a teacher but i only see him for half an hour a week. and whenever im practicing and find something difficult for some reason i just post it on here. i will have to start making a list of things to ask my teacher though

10. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    My guess would be you're sitting in concert band & standing in jazz band? Whole lot easier to get a lung full standing than sitting....chuck's .02:dontknow: