What's the lowest you've ever played?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I just played a triple pedal a (a below two octaves below low c) and thought it was pretty cool, is that really good? Because I figure with a low register like that I should be able to play pretty high, but I can only hit a high D. My teacher says I have tension in my neck and sometimes grunt when I play, do you think if I fixed those I could be a screamer?

2. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    There are hundreds of articles on the internet about playing high. Look at them, if they don't help THEN ask.

And why would being able to play low mean you can play high? Tuba players can play EXTREMELY low, but that doesn't mean that they can scream like Maynard.

3. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    E (concert pitch), two octaves lower than trumpet range, all valves down

I can play fluently from that E up until bB than I have a gap untill B below trumpet range, than again fluently all the way to trumpet range

4. equivariant

equivariant New Friend

May 25, 2009
    Forgive my noob ingnorance, but how is it even possible to play a note that low on the trumpet? My understanding is that the lowest possible note on a trumpet is F# below pedal C. You claim to have played a note that is 9 semitones lower than that?? Maybe I misunderstand pedal tones completely?

5. uconntrpt

uconntrpt New Friend

Sep 7, 2009
    New London, CT
    Most pedal tones are actually false. The instrument, in theory at least, without valves has pedal C then the next note is C an octave above this (then G, C, etc) It is however possible to play lower than this and to fill in the notes inbetween with the valves. There is much debate on the value of pedal tones. I believe they are helpful if done properly.

6. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I go down to a triple Pedal C almost every day via Caruso that Markus Stockhausen showed me at Chosen Vale. (3 octaves below low C).

On some contemporary music I've had to play two octaves below low C, so pedal tones are being increasingly used in modern music.

7. equivariant

equivariant New Friend

May 25, 2009
    I guess that I do :-o

So the lowest real pedal tone is pedal F#, but it is possible to play false pedal tones lower than that, is that right?

8. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Never really tried the super low ones as I never understood their value. I actually never tried to play legitimate pedals until a few months ago, when introduced to Stamp's methods.

For my life I can't get a pedal C without lipping down using all 3 valves.

9. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I find that to play the first partial C I'm always quite a bit flat then I have to lip it up and play it loudly to get it in tune. The notes below are a little easier, especially using different fingerings, such as 2nd valve for Bb, 1st valve for A, etc. I think different horns play the fundamental pitch a little easier than others.

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    That's very interesting. Do you know of any on-line examples where I could hear some playing like that?

I hear lots of pedals in practice, but almost never in a performance...