What's the lowest you've ever played?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jan 19, 2010.

1. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Shazam, by Folke Rabe, goes down to G below double Pedal C. Listen to this insanely good performance by Lorenzo Trujillo nail the pedals....

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    around 1:30 is where you can hear the pedals

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The lowest I have ever played is about $30 for a Bach Christmas Oratorio.

Seriously, Pedals are not the "key" to unlock high notes. They CAN be of help if the rest of the practice routine works.

There is no high notes by the numbers, unless hard, sensible practice is considered "numbered".

I don't know everybody, but most of the lead players that I know did not look for a method to play high, they had natural talent that they cashed in on and further developed. The second or chorus players always seemed to practice harder and more than anybody else. Scales, changes, patterns and thousands of standards day and night. Unbelievable!

A good example of "moderate pedal tones" is on Nakariakovs recordings of bassoon and cello concertos. He uses a 4 valved flugel and can chase any baritone horn player that I know.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  4. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
  5. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    i've always wondered why trumpets were never made with four valves. So long as a player can play a pedal C, it opens up a huge realm of range and tone color to play with

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    here is one currently available that is pretty decent:
    David G. Monette Corporation

That being said, here is a REALLY cool exercize in pedals!:
    YouTube - Andrea Giuffredi at the Monette factory
    He starts at about 1:12

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The lowest I've ever played was probably on a lower deck on a cruise ship...:D

8. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    impresionante Andrea Giuffredi !!!

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I can play about 9 semitones below the low F# -- I personally thing you can extrapolate this into high notes and range -- which a few exceptions. when I play high (above high C) then I need loose lips to vibrate, and almost no pressure, ie. pedal tones.
    HOWEVER -- also with that for high range you need small aperture and fast air, and the face muscles to hold it all together - and also find playing softly helps. but a lot of that takes time to build up to -practice, practice, practice

10. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Pedals are part of the Claude Gordon Daily
    Approach to Practice book. My experience is that by expanding range in BOTH directions that you adjust the emboucher less to play in your normal range.