What's the point?!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Acludwig1, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    I love the design concepts and I love the looks but then I am a fool in paradise.

Trumpets and by trumpets and by that I mean trumpets cornets flugels - they all rock. Make it look like a central heating installation and I will still love it.

Its a tube for god sake the lowliest hunk of anything you could design and yet it sounds magical lyrical and raises spirits in the face of misery.

Whatever the instrument we are not worthy of it, but sometimes when we play we are worthy and are regarded as having been touched by the angels, in my case thats totally unwarranted. In some cases it is totally warranted.

I want a Pinto

Dennis78 and Acludwig1 like this.
  2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    A couple of years ago the French horn player I sit next to in orchestra asked me if there was such a thing as a left handed trumpet, I told her there have been specials built but I have never seen one for sale. This got me thinking, I pulled out the Olds Pinto I had and it was a simple job to turn the leadpipe upside down and put on the left side, changing the position of the finger hook.The bell I unsoldered the brace feet and locating pins and resoldered on the other side, now I had a left handed trumpet with about an hours work.

Next rehearsal I gave it to her, she was greatly impressed, it played so much better than the old Amati she had as a student.

Regards, Stuart.

tjcombo, thejom28, curlydoc and 4 others like this.
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well I have one and play it next to all my horns. If I play it the same way as my other horns, I can feel the difference. Maybe my terminology is incorrect. There is less resistance and it plays like a larger bore horn. It doesn't have the sound quality though. As far as air flow, there is always air moving through the horn or there is no resonance. Put a Bach practice mute in any horn, blow, then cover the hole in the mute. The sound stops immediately.

4. Acludwig1

Acludwig1 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2016
    Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
    That's cool. I guess they're good for modifying. That was nice of you to give it to her.

tobylou8 likes this.
  5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Actually the Chevy Vega, Monza and Chevette had more recorded problems with the rear mounted tank then the Pinto! GM likely paid for that report to combat the “Unsafe at any Speed” BS that Ralph Nader spewed about the Corvair. Many many many vehicles were and still are manufactured with a gas tank just forward of the rear bumper, and many not nearly as well shrouded as the Pinto

J. Jericho, tobylou8 and Acludwig1 like this.
  6. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    In fairness to Nader, it was two things as I understand it that made him level his guns against the Pinto.

First was the climate of fear in the company that made engineers and managers hide the truth about safety concerns, because to voice those concerns would have been a death sentence to their careers, so they kept quiet. This is the same climate of fear that pervaded Nasa and ultimately led to the Shuttle Challenger disaster. Fear and blame culture is a cancer in any otherwise healthy organisation.

Second was an official company memo that stated that it was less costly to allow the deaths to continue due to the defect because it was more expensive to fix the car than to pay the widows and orphans compensation.

A class action victory in the courts was inevitable when this evidence of corporate negligence came to light.

tobylou8 and Dennis78 like this.
  7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    [​IMG]
    A lone Ranger!

neal085, rowuk, tobylou8 and 4 others like this.
  8. N1684T

N1684T Piano User

Jun 28, 2016
    I have a couple of Pinto's. Decent horns, for what they were. Gas tank? My 69 f100 has it behind the seat;)

tobylou8, Acludwig1 and Dennis78 like this.
  9. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    Anything named after a bean is going to have problems. After all, from what Kehaulani said, beans and rear-end explosions tend to go together.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Same thing could be said after eating pinto beans.

tobylou8 and Acludwig1 like this.