What's with all the outrageous prices?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigtiny, Jun 16, 2015.

1. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I've noticed a trend recently that is really bugging me. Prices for used
    and new horns are getting ridiculous. New horn prices are pretty much
    the province of the manufacturers, so there's not much individuals can
    do about them, but people are asking for stupid amounts of money for
    used horns. A few examples:

- an eBay listing for a 1972 Benge flugelhorn. Looks to be in great shape, but
    the seller has a price of $2175 for the horn. That's twice what I would pay
    for the horn, and I'm really into Benges. A good Benge trumpet should be around
    $1200. So what's with this guy?

- I've been seeing a lot of Benges, Yamahas etc. in the $1500 range. Did something
    happen overnight in the universe to suddenly make these horns more valuable? I mean
    they're not made out of precious metals or anything. I don't think anybody even paid $1500
    for a Yamaha trumpet 10 years ago, so why would someone expect to get that for the horn
    now?

So what's up out there in trumpet land? Are people actually getting these prices? Why? Would
    you pay $1000 more for a used horn than you would paid for that same horn a year ago?

bigtiny

2. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Inflation (in multiple senses of the word)

Now I would say that is because the positive traits of some horns have been turned into fairy-dust legends or something like that (the Martin Committee is a fantastic example of this, although Smoko on eBay is an exception no matter what), and paraphrasing what someone said about Yamahas, the old horns no one noticed before are suddenly gaining promenance...because a certain group of horns did well (Chicago Benge, many newer Yamahas, newer Jupiters, etc.) people seem willing to buy related models (LA Benge, old, junky Yamaha, early junk Jupiters [though many still recognize the older ones aren't great]) to get the closest deal...hence why people jump on the Conn 5A, since it's similar to the 9A, but the 76A is like a lesser 5A, so get those when you can, etc.

Company X made great pro horns...maybe their student horns reflect some aspects of their pro horns...more than a few brands have been attached to that. Sometimes the hype surrounding the pro horns extends to the student line, but many times the student line is respected for what it is, considered separately...then there's the infamous Bach TR300 and Blessing Scholastic...

Note that the above is my speculation/experience and may not reflect the actual truth... :shock:

and no, there are few (if any) used horns I would put even $1000 into...

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Part of the problem is there are just too many need + 1 guys who simply must have a particular horn and seem to be willing to pay just about anything for a horn they are hot for. And that is whether they actually use them or not. On certain models and makes perceived rarity can be another issue.
    As the horns begin to disappear from the market, the prices go up. Inflation is also another issue as is greed by a seller who wants more than the horn is worth.
    Rich T.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    If a trumpet isn't very old and is about "as new" as they come, is it fair to ask close to the current list price? (or current street price?) e.g. a 2010 Yamaha Xeno for US$2700?

--bumblebee

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Speculation? The discussion is talking about advertised horns for sale, but how many of these horns have been bought at the advertised price? If we can't point to a number of finalized sales, this conversation about horn prices is a bit of a straw man.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Big tiny,

I agree. Seems like prices have taken off. Has put me out of the N+1 business.

7. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    I can say without speculation that the sellers want to break even, at least

Of course, I doubt anyone will purchase http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUNDS-GREA...SE-AVE-OVER-COMMITTEE-MODEL-NOW-/291481092345

[​IMG]

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Yea asking $600 for a t602, of $350 for a ragged out ambassador? Even cornets seem to be fetching some coin

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've noticed it too. I started a cannabis thread about a copra-temp for $1200+. Make me glad I have all the horns I want. N+0 here!

10. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    N-1 if you have the right horn and someone's willing to bankrupt themselves for it!