What's with all the outrageous prices?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigtiny, Jun 16, 2015.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I reiterate - lot of speculation, but who's actually buying the horns at these inflated prices? Listing and actually selling are two different things.

2. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    I also play keyboards. I see this crazy pricing all the time with Hammond organs and Rhodes pianos. Some of this is caused by NON-musician re-sellers that think they have landed on a treasure
    A few years ago I saw a Hammond B3 listed on ebay for $110,000 USD. I thought the seller had made a typo so I sent them a little note. The seller wrote back that it was not a mistake. I told them that nice B3's usually sell in the 3000 to 6000 range. The seller actually got mad and accused me of trying to steal the instrument. She stated that she had seen B3's sell this high a number of times. :shock:

3. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    Presently there's an old large-bore Martin Committee on Ebay and the bidding is up to $2225.
    Years ago, I had a Committee. It was no better than many other horns available at the time. It just happened to get some sort of cachet because a couple of jazz guys played them, with the result that everybody had to play one.

B/

ConnDirectorFan likes this.
  4. dcpritchett

dcpritchett Pianissimo User

Jan 20, 2015
    Central FL
    I was watching a Getzen 1970s C trumpet on eBay.. I say watching because it went for $1450. I ended up with an Olds Custom Craft.C for $475. I am playing an Olds. There are folks that think it is shiny so people will pay for it. I think we have many cleaning out closets to make ends meet and trying to squeeze every nickel.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree with bigtiny, that recent eBay prices seem to be rising. But I think the prices on the market place here and on TrumpetHerald are even higher.

Bumblebee asks a good question. Maybe for some, the answer is "yes". But for me, the starting price for any used horn is half the current street price. If it's in excellent condition, maybe a bit more. And I suppose, if I really wanted the horn, maybe a bit more, too. Again, that's what it might be worth to me. For others, a horn may be worth a different price.

That being said, and with a little patience, I made a few purchases around 2012. This included a 1971 Bach 37 is excellent condition for $850, a 1980 Bach C in good condition for $750, and a Getzen piccolo in like-new condition for $500.

Mike

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    The value of a horn is just so subjective. Opinions like above, are really telling what value the author gives to that particular horn. And one could disagree with the criteria. Case in point, the comment above about the Large bore Committee. Tomaso thinks it's overpriced and somewhat a result of hype. I don't disagree (nor do I agree). But how it plays for him, what perhaps the mystique is, how it relates to other horns someone has played or not played, all are part of the subjective mix.

I have a Connstellation. I think I payed a decent price for it. But I would have paid more for the simple fact that that's what I played in my earlier years and I wanted to get one for two reasons, to be able to compare it to other make/models, and quite simply for nostalgia. This stuff is really subjective.

I come from the sax world and it's the same thing there. Say Selmer Mark VI and some people wet their pants. Others will have gotten a new, contemporary Taiwanese instrument at a pittance in comparison which (according to the guy choosing that over a Mark VI) does everything the owner wants. I have a Selmer S80 Serie II alto and it does everything I need it to do. My tenor is a Keilwerth and the sound is so different from a Mark VI, again, the Mark VI would be irrelevant. But others think the Mark VI is the holy grail and all other horns are compared to it. Guess who's going to pay a premium price for one, him or me? And yet for him $XX,XXX.XX is its value while, for me, the value is much less.

7. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    That is very true.
    On the other hand, high prices ARE actually paid as you can see here and there. These prices might be inflated for sure,
    still the financial value of some horns has not developed into such heights without a reason.

Yes again, of course with old horns, the nostalgia creeps in easily (I am including myself with my Olds Recording, for example - ah, the sheer beauty!)
    So that is the aesthetic value we are talking about.

Plus: more people than perhaps a while ago seem to appreciate the immaterial musical value of a really good horn,
    no matter what age it is. A fantastically playing instrument is a fantastically playing instrument no matter
    if that is merely on a subjective basis. Sound, responsiveness, slotting, intonation, these are all important to a player,
    and noone could deny that he or she would not be willing to spend some $$$ on a classy horn that suits the needs of a musician.

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    "WANT" commands its OWN price.

9. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I wonder how much the "flippers" contribute to this? Someone buys a horn for reasonable price, hypes it up, and tries to sell it at a higher price. All of the horns I listed above were purchased from their original owners. But I wonder if the percentage of flippers or dealers is increasing on eBay, and whether this is contributing to price inflation?

We just had a couple threads here on TM (or maybe it was on TH) that sounded like this -- "I may be able to purchase such-and-such a horn. Do you think I can make money reselling it?" Not that there's anything wrong with flipping. But salesmen have a purpose ... to increase the demand of an item they are selling.

Mike

10. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I absolutely agree with you, that the value we give a particular horn is subjective. And I think I qualified my post by saying others may feel differently.

But for me, half the street value is always my starting point (and maybe a bit higher, depending on its condition or how much I wanted it).

Your "Committee/Mark VI" remark is a good example of an exception to this rule. This may explain why I don't own a Committee (not that I haven't thought about it). I guess my N+1 has limits. :cool:

Mike