What's with all the outrageous prices?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigtiny, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    THat is MORE than I paid for my BRAND NEW Schilke! in 2014

bumblebee likes this.
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    gordon, breath man!!! You're turning blue!!! Rofl

3. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    This thread prompted me to revise my avatar to something more....accurate.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    You're too kind, Mike. I mean, every one needs to make a living, but most expect to have to contribute something to society in return. Flippers, like intestinal parasites, look to take all and give nothing back.

I've got to confess that I don't have too much sympathy for the basic premise of this thread. The economics are inescapable. If we think we have some god-given right to a cheap, good quality, second hand trumpet, then we're expecting someone somewhere to have bought high and sold low. Why on earth should they do that for our benefit?

I think I'll spare my sympathy for those who have done the right thing and bought a good instrument new; thus keeping the manufacturers in business; thus increasing supply of good instruments in circulation; thus helping keep the cost of new instruments low; thus putting downward pressure on the second hand price......But who unfortunately find that the instrument really doesn't work for them and have to take a big depreciation hit because the market is reluctant to pay more than a fraction of the MRRP.

Be grateful to these people since without them, there would be no good second-hand trumpets to be had by anybody. And don't begrudge them a reasonable selling-on price. Given the enjoyment and entertainment we get from our instruments over many, many years, they are still really good value for money.

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I just don't understand the flip, I got a rediculous deal on a cornet and intended to sell it. Well I cleand her up unstuck the slides and replaced the cork on the first valve and fell in love

6. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Yes, prices have climbed. However, let's count our blessings. There's a reason almost no violin players get N+1.

-John

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Makes ANY custom horn seem cheap!!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/J-Puchner-Model-6000-Superior-Professional-Bassoon-475544-i1439444.gc?country=us&currency=usd&isfullsite=1&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CIXg_7b-lsYCFdURHwodRAwA7g&kwid=productads-plaid^18283950120-sku^[email protected]^PLA-device^c-adid^41539417242

Geez, have to cut and paste link!!! Wassup with that??? ANYWAY, $35,000 bassoon!

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Isn't every retail business basically a flipper? They buy the goods cheap, mark them up, and sell them at a profit.

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    50 shades of grey, Dale. There have always been unscrupulous retailers, and always will. But the old fashioned type with a town centre shop, established business, loyal customer base and reputation to protect provides something to both sellers and purchasers, and via employment, taxes etc, the wider community. The rise of the internet has provided us with some good, reputable virtual shops in the comfort of our own sitting rooms. But it has also let in an awful lot of riff-raff.

10. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    This kind of business is currently dying out in many town centres which of course is deplorable for the reasons you list.

One thing is for sure: the Internet has drastically changed our lives over the last 20 years, as
    it has reshaped buying and selling habits. But not only that: Just consider this:

almost two decades ago, there were not only any online retailers, but neither
    online forums for aficionados like us where all kinds of N+1s, N-1s and everything in between could be discussed.
    (BTW, I enjoy the abundance of information here very much, and also the friendly and humorous tone).

And yes, raving about this or that horn, mpc etc. and reading enthusiastic reviews does create desire which some may
    call greed, others just demand...

I have to admit that the online chance to get a nice horn,
    be it here, at ebay or elsewhere made me buy one or two (or three)
    (To be honest, 20 years ago I would not have known how to get
    such a horn at all!)
    Selling horns has almost everytime been a break even.
    So no real guilt complex here. Phew - I am not a flipper ;-)

No real guilt complex here...