What's with all the outrageous prices?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigtiny, Jun 16, 2015.

1. dcpritchett

dcpritchett Pianissimo User

Jan 20, 2015
    Central FL
    You can only get hurt by a bad merchant if your common sense goes to sleep or your greed wakes up. I have passed on many horns, and guns, because the deal wasn't right.

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Responding to Dale and Sethoflagos ... A music store sells new instruments with well-defined pricing. This is probably less so with flippers. This doesn't make flippers good or bad. My initial statement was speculation that flipping on eBay may be contributing to price increases.

Mike

3. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    That's at least $35,000 more than I paid for my last bassoon.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Someone posted in here that they bought a "clarinet" for $35 at a yard sale. It was a bassoon worth @ $15000 !!!

5. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    What's worse
    than a BUFFOON
    with a BASSOON?

A unicorn
    with
    TWO horns.

6. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    +1. I say the same thing about cars.
    "I can't believe people pay new prices when used are so much cheaper!"
    "Someone's got to buy the new ones so high school kids can afford them in ten years. You're welcome."

Guitar Center. It would be less if they were Bassoon Center and bought it bulk...

The internet and specific forums have performed alchemy with certain horns, essentially turning brass to gold while some other, less appreciated horns are finally getting some long-deserved attention. At the same time, people today believe instruments from half a century ago were made with the same consistency as cell phones and were taken care of by museum curators.

Add into that the fact most people have no idea how to barter and you've got your current market.

7. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Values and perceived values are a wildly fluctuating animal. The internet made most of my baseball cards worthless, but my old G.I. Joe action figures sky-rocketed. Too bad I'd already sold them all to a neighbor kid almost a decade previously........

We see that all the time in the firearms market, and I'm sure it's similar to other markets. It seems many people have the following equation in their minds:

Grandpa died + old firearms inherited = Massive retirement fund.

or this variation:

Old + Any Firearm = huge windfall.

I had a guy come in here less than a week ago with an old Colt single action that had been "appraised" at $18,000. Lucky me. I inspected it and mentally put together a document (more like a volume) titled, 'Things That Are Wrong With This Gun,' after which I got to be the bad guy and tell him that while he was fortunate to have lucked into a pre-1900 relic bearing the honest-to-goodness Colt moniker, it was about a $900 piece, possibly $1000 if he sold it to a blind and senile orangutan.

What I really enjoy is when the opposite happens. Several years ago, a young lady walked in to the shop. Her great uncle had died, and her siblings/cousins had picked through his firearms and left her with only 3 of them, ones they had apparently deemed less valuable. She said she had no use for any of them, and would just like to sell them - she was just looking to get a few hundred bucks, if that wasn't asking too much.

I sat there gawking at 2 incredibly clean Colt single action revolvers, both made well before 1900, and the single rarest shotgun Browning ever made. I told her she might prefer consigning them, and we'd be able to net her close to $20,000 for the three of them, which is exactly what happened. Don't know if she ever told her family members about how that ended, but the joke was definitely on them.

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    When my dad passed away, mom gave the sons picks of his three firearms. Nothing at all valuable, but since I was youngest, I got the last.
    Of course, they chose the more valuable...leaving an old 22 varmint plinker.

What they did not know, the others were just recent yardsale acquisitions...the one left for me was the one i would have picked had there been ten-thousand dollar item. It was the one he and I went together and bought when I was ten.
    It was the one we talked about, had a history with.
    I remember his spotting it being advertised in the local paper...and the designs laid to get our hands on it.
    It is invaluable to me...and now to my son.
    Just a cheap old Marlin. 22...

9. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I didn't post looking for 'sympathy', I posted because I think this is a disturbing trend. Why should someone who buys a new horn and plays it or whatever for several years expect to sell it for more than some new horns, or close to what they originally paid for the thing? if I buy a Toyota for 25k, drive it for 50,000 miles and decide to sell it 10 years later, is it reasonable to expect to get 25k for it? Or 20k? Of course not, but that seems to be what people expect with horns. I don't expect someone to do anything.....what I would hope is that people stop falling for this crap and stop buying at these prices. I know that's not going to happen, but I though it warranted a bit of discussion....

bigtiny

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If we stop and think for a second, what is the real issue here? It isn't n+1 or even the affordability of an instrument.

What is the function of "another horn"? Finally something good? additional dustables? coolness factor? a real complementary sound palette for our performing venues - or simply N+1.

Therein lies the value of the horn. What we would pay for a dustable is much different than buying a big step up.

E'pay sellers realize that there are several different types of buyers and try to sell to those that just "have to have" that horn. I agree 100% with Kehaulauni. Most do NOT get their asking price. We just don't see that. I am not irritated by an overpriced Ambassador, rather it makes me laugh.