What's with all the outrageous prices?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigtiny, Jun 16, 2015.

1. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    I have an odd observation that may be a bit off the mark but… As I breeze through this forum I see posts linking to sales on E-bay of vintage horns of, “note “. These posts draw attention to the sale and the instrument/model. This increased visibility might just possibly develop a slightly inflated interest in these horns. This might be increasing the mystique of these instruments and the perceived demand for them. Once a seller recognizes that the, “perceived” value is now increased due to the heightened buzz they are compelled to capitalize on this.

All they have to do to see what they have is a simple search:

Google

Google

Google

If a seller wants to know about the product all they have to do is search. These 3 searches garner a great deal activity from 2 trumpet forums many of which are E-bay links. The rest talk about the much sought after qualities of these rare instruments. Oddly this points to an inflated used market created by the collective.
    I know I will never find an EBay listing of one of the Grail horns that hasn’t been reviled by a forum EBay watcher. At this point I fully expect to pay top dollar for a grail horn, as I know all hunters are aware of the sighting.

Are we partially responsible?

The price of new horns is an entirely different matter but certainly affects the used market. What is fair markdown on a used 1-year-old horn? Once again it will be driven by demand or the perceived value of the horn. Is this a horn that the collective recognizes as a, “great” horn? If so, then it’s depreciation less than other not as desirable horns of equal original purchase price? There has to be some correlation between hype and price. Even though a Martin Committee is clearly not a horn for all players or playing requirements it is one of the grail horns of lore. This makes it priceless to some.

This is the market if we decide we want less expensive horns well we might consider.

Google
    I hear they play great.

Peace,

Jon

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I fully intend to be WHOLLY responsible for a future highly inflated price for Conn 40a and 40b Vocabells....cuz I luv 'em and covet every last one...whatever piece of one I can find that is less than the gross sum in my pockets I shall absorb.
    ... Me Precious.

3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    So all these sellers should just throw out or liquidate for cheap all that trash Holton produced for so many years, especially the '30's-'50's as those are the most worthless

4. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Now you got it!!!

5. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    What this thread seems to boil down to is what Tom Turner has mentioned in a different thread
    concerning the great difference between trumpet makers´and the buyers´point of view in the past and the present:

quoted from an older thread:
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140/olds-recording-vs-super-recording-20909-2.html#post188919

Well, at the end of the day many people spend a lot of cash on consumer articles, luxury items and superfluous crap.
    I doubt if ascetic philosopher Diogenes would have liked living in the 1930s or so, but he certainly would have objected to today´s consumerism.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't think Diogenes would like any time period. Maybe that's being a bit cynical. :roll:

7. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Hey, is he still around? I thought he´d already retired in his oak barrel 2300 years ago or so ;-)
    Oldest spirit known to the world. I still prefer 16-year-old Islay though, far more palatable :-D

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If he was around, he'd be upset about it!! :D

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    He'd be very quickly arrested for some of the stuff he got up to (allegedly)

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    You know, high prices on used instruments exist only because some people are willing to pay them.