What's with all the outrageous prices?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigtiny, Jun 16, 2015.

1. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Yes, but at least he could not be accused of flipping used horns at crazy prices ;-)

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Cars wear out even when properly cared for. The extremes in operational conditions can destroy eventually even the best made vehicle. A horn is not the same imo. A well cared for horn can still be functional decades later. I own a Conn 5H from 1911 that's perfect, just doesn't sound good when I play it. It probably retailed for less than $100. To me it's priceless as a family heirloom and it was used in Sousa's band when he came to town. It's certainly worth more than it's original sticker price. IF "the horn" I was wanting was expensive, it would be disturbing, but if I'm the seller..., not so much.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Depends on which side if the barrel he emerged that day! Dang cheap a** trumpet players, always want something for nothing!!! ROFL

4. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    I have noticed factory horn prices going through the roof. Bach for instance is pretty expensive. I am not a Bach guy, so I am not worried about a 30 year old bach going for $2K... but you can't buy a brand new Benge, or a Brnad new Old's Recording. So new prices are driving the used prices of good horns up. IMHO. Kind of sucks. I want a Courtois Phantom, and I am pretty sure when I find it, I won't be able to afford it.

5. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Horns age. I've never bought a used trumpet that I didn't subsequently spend money on for valve alignments, red rot mitigation etc.

Your example of your heirloom trombone is specious. You obviously don't want to sell it.

bigtiny

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sorry if I stepped on your toes. I find the use of the word "disturbing" out of place with regards to trumpet prices. It's a free market so the owner of the horn can ask what they will. If it sells, good for them and the happy new owner of the "overpriced" horn. I'm cheap and have always looked for deals and eventually find them, but that requires patience. I'm not disturbed at the price of "Smoko's" horns. It doesn't keep me awake at night. They are his and he can do with them as he wants. At his prices though, he's more collector than seller. I'm not in the market for any type of horn, so escalating prices are really of no concern. Eventually, someone in my family will want to sell the 5H and I'm sure it will fetch more than it's original retail price, so, not specious at all.

7. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    The prices aren't disturbing. Smoko's state of mind is. ROFL

Or, the prices aren't disturbing, just inflated. So is Smoko's state of mind...

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I played an outrageously priced horn recently. It sounded nice but not 3x the going rate. The seller still has it! :roll: