what's with Zeus flugelhorns

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Weedyweidenthal, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Weedyweidenthal

Weedyweidenthal Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    've been reading quite a bit about these in many places... they sound like they are popular but nobody has ever reccomended one to me. i'm looking to buy a flugel and i'm interested in Zeus, Getzen Eterna (don't care if 895 or 896), Kanstul 925 or 1025, and couesnon... i'm looking to spend less than 1,000$ and i don't want to wate my money... no matter what i'm going to ask for a 1 week time frame after i've payed to try it out and if it isn't like described i'll want my money back... but first i want advice on these flugels. I've only played the Getzens out of the ones i've described and i think i've looked at every other possible flugel and these are the only ones i want info/input about... anybody got anything?

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    The Zeus brand is built by different manufacturers to meet a cost point established by Zachary Music. If you want a Zeus flugel you might check out and see what differences (if any) there are between them and some of the Kanstul models (who build the Zeus branded horns).

Zachary Music also contract out manufacturing of other instruments with their "stamp" on them... flutes, saxophones, guitars, etc.

3. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    I have played two Zues Flugels, the Brushed Gold and The polished copper. Both these horns were great horns. I prefered the Copper. It gave a nice warm sound. However, I found my Callet, and couldn't resist.

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I know you may laugh, guys, but I found the *E.M. WINSTON* flugelhorn to be darn good. Great valves (Surprisingly!), good intonation, good slotting, good, flugel sound. Nothing fancy or mind blowing by any means, but a solid, though average, performer. Winston's silver plating is not up to snuff, however. Dont waste extra dough on that.

I'm going to be using one of these flugels on a gig next weekend with two Stage 1 trumpets on loan from Felix. I feel confident enough with this horn to use it with these great horns at the musical.

Another horn to look into is the Weril. They are definitely improved in quality, and sometimes you can get a new flugel from them at a deal price ($500.00 - $750.00).

Courtois makes a step-below top model horn, Conservatorie 222, you can get for around $1,100, if you want to go an extra step. I think the extra $100.00 would be worth it.

I plan on saving up for my own flugel next year, and if I can't get the funds for a 1525 Kanstul, I will get the 222 Courtois.

Van

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Lets get back on subject, though.

Alex gets his horns from two makers (to my knowledge); a maker in Indiana and a maker in California (are we keeping this a secret, now? Seems like no one is coming out and saying who makes the horns, gives the parts, etc.). He also gets some of his cases (for Olympus, anyway) through a maker in Wisconsin.

If you do purchase the 900 model, I would say go for the copper bell. I am guessing the bell comes from the maker in California, and THAT maker's top copper bell flugel is considered by many the best flug ever built....

Van

6. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I play a Copper Zues Flugel (and the other Zeus trumpets), got any specific questions, then just ask.

7. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    zeus and other flugels

Always do your research about who makes what. I don't know why we can't mention that Kanstul makes some models for Zeus and Blessing makes the others. Look at the specs (best place to find them is on TrumpetReview.com) and the pics if they're there. There is absolutely no difference between a Zeus ZFH800 and a Blessing B-154 Artists model, which is also an Olds NF13MRT in the copper bell version.
    Blessing pro line horns are possibly the most under-rated horns in the industry, yet they get rave reviews under other manufacturer's names. Go figure!

Geoff Winstead
    former L.A. Studio trumpeter/private teacher in San Diego

8. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    I called Zeus concerning a new cornet and was told, "If you buy it , you own it".

I'm a working man, and $$$ come hard...mine will go towards some horn that I can try out.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The ZeuS G Flugelhorn - think "Kanstul Chicago Flugelhorn" It's made by Kanstul and from the pictures, I have seen, that's what it looks like.

I've heard they are decent, but these days they are priced right along with the Kanstuls, so why not just buy the Kanstul and actually know what you are getting?

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Weedy,

I liked the Zeus brand when I bought my Zeus G. trumpet a few years back. Now, since they have raised their prices so much they are just another choice among many. They are fine, high quality horns, but now that they are no longer grossly underpriced there is not much reason to pick them over a Kanstul.

Also, how much of your playing will you do on the flugel? I recently bought a Jupiter flugel because there are a few charts in our big band book that call for it. I didn't need another expensive horn and I got it used for $430 on ebay.

It plays and sounds just fine and my trumpet friends that have played it agree.

Just something to consider.

Greg