What's you "other" job?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by iainmcl, May 7, 2008.

1. iainmcl

iainmcl Pianissimo User

Nov 4, 2006
    New Zealand
    What's your "other" job?

Hi,
    Not everyone has a full-time gig teaching and/or playing somewhere.
    I'm just a little curious what other Trumpet players also do for a living (other than play or teach Trumpet/Brass).
    I'm currently working towards giving up my regular daytime job, but for now at least it is: Retail Asst/Tank Filler/Cleaner/Coffee Drinker at a Scuba Dive store. It's a great sport that I love, but not my first pick as a job.
    Anybody out there got any really interesting alternate occupations to their musical side?

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  2. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I play full time now, but my last other job was clothing alterations. I loved it, but it makes less money than music, and people treat you worse, if you can imagine that! I still do plenty of sewing for fun to help out friends, and have used my skills to make mouthpiece pouches and also a bucket mute of my own design - I hope to be selling those soon.
    It will be fun to see everyone's "other" skills! :)

3. Catfish

Catfish New Friend

May 4, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    I attempt to rehabilitate prisoners in a maximum security facility … interesting is one word. I don’t think I am very good at my job, because a lot of them keep coming back to jail… I wish they wouldn't..

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I repair flutes in an Instrument repair shop.

5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I am a journeyman machine repairman that now works in the training dept. I used to teach Laser Coupling Alignment and Hydraulics but now am a skilled trades training coordinator - Soon to be retired WooHoo. Dave

6. NickD

NickD Forte User

I teach high school physics - Advanced Placement Calculus Physics and regular physics.

As long as it seems the right thing to do, I'll lead a dual career life style.

I would like to be a college professor, though, in music (jazz performance - big band) and/or music tech. I need to get my doctorate, though (I've got two masters). I'm actually investigating that right now!

Interesting thread!

Thanks for sharing, all!

Nick

7. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    I supervise 10 auto body shops as part of a major insurance carrier's direct repair program.
    Before this I have been service/parts manager and technician at several new car dealerships.

I can't stand cars anymore and am growing to dislike dealing with people (they are so dishonest).

I wish I was able to have music be a means support my family.

8. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I have been retired since late '04 on S.S. and pensions. My younger wife works 2 no-benefit part time jobs as our church organist/choir director and as an assistant manager for our local fabric store, part of a west Michigan chain. She also accompanies many students for Solo and & Ensemble festivals, recently concluded. Very lucky to have had her for 36 1/2 yrs. She is also a very good flutist, seamstress and cook. I often wish I could do something more useful and have turned into the home scene facilitator, sort of role reversals of our earlier years.:-)

9. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Computer programmer in the gaming industry.

10. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    I'm a student...and I'd like to be Wayne Bergeron when I "grow up." :D