What's you "other" job?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by iainmcl, May 7, 2008.

1. Newguy

Newguy Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2008
    Pittsburgh Area
    I'm retired -- a job for which I'm happy to say I have found myself extremely qualified -- I don't do nothin'!!!! AND I'm VERRRY good at it!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

2. Liblip

Liblip New Friend

Mar 29, 2008
    I'm a Librarian, I've been at it for almost 25 years now. I have an MLS and had spent much of my career as a Library Director in Connecticut. Now I manage a branch of a library system in Florida. That move enabled me to let someone else suit-up and deal with elected leaders and the press. I have much more time for playing horn and being me! -Ed

3. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I'm a Operations Planning Supervisor (civilian) for the Navy

4. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    My day job is International Sales Mgr for a company that makes electric motor repair tools. My bandleader took me to Switzerland for 6 weeks in 1992/93, we played in Laax, Arosa and Davos. Record company paid me a salary, and work paid me a salary & bought me a Swiss Railpass for two of the 6 weeks. For two weeks, called on electric motor repair shops in many parts of Switzerland during the day, and commuted back to the hotel each night to play until 1am. Pretty amazing trip, am looking forward to going to England this September with the same bandleader.

Not sure would do the music thing full time without a competent agent and entertainment lawyer. Having a day job allows me to say "no" to a lot of jobs I would rather not take. Keeping chops up, gigs coming, venues full & sidemen happy also ain't easy, but guess you can get it right if you try hard enough & surround yourself with the right people. :>)

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Almost 30 years in the music business--15 playing & teaching in the USA and working for the Musician's Union, then 15 years teaching and playing in Germany. Despite some amazing experiences, it stopped being fun.

I am now working for Seattle's Union Gospel Mission's Women and Children's Shelter (one of two male employees), and while it isn't all fun, it is rewarding.

6. zkfan

zkfan New Friend

Jan 25, 2008
    Michigan
    I started out spending many years as a Medical Technologist in a hospital Laboratory doing chemistries, blood counts, crossmatching blood, culturing bacteria and the like. Now, I run the computer system that runs that Hospital Lab. I love messing around with my horns, but can't imagine I'll ever be good enough to earn my keep (or even a little something on the side) that way!

7. Whataguy!

Whataguy! Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2004
    Osaka, Japan
    I compose music for commercials and production music libraries and arrange for local jazz and pop artists. Trumpet gigs come in from time to time. They are the most fun.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    My daytime amusement is provided by playing with people's minds.

Together we explore the intricacies of large Gas Turbine Engines fitted to Boeing B747s, B767s, and Airbus A330s. I also present Aircraft Systems to the very Aircraft Maintenance Engineers you all rely on to keep your airplanes safely in the air.

It's just another way of manipulating airflow, when it's all said and done. (So I am a Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineer - with many years of "spanner time" experience before sashaying into a classroom to retire, and talk - loooxury really).

9. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    I retired from the U.S. Navy a while back-- 22 years and was a frogman (SEAL). That's always sort of a fun thing to write in on a job application. Now I work part time as a music evaluator for a new venture called Pushbutton Music where we'll fill up all those unused gigs on your MP3 but I spend most my time playing the trumpet/cornet in various venues. I still have to keep my gills wet so I swim 3 times a week a the YMCA.:-)

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I am the systems administrator for the county mental health department. We operate a clinic with about 70 therapists/caseworkers, and provide services to some 1800 folks. Most of the staff are female, which suits me fine having been raised with four sisters, and I get all the free therapy I need. I am also the privacy officer whose mission is to protect the sensitive personal health information entrusted to us by our clients.
    Of the many jobs I've had (jukebox/pinball machine repair, boat engine mechanic, mail-order company vice president, stereo sales, car stereo installer, marine transmission mechanic and parts dealer, marina supply room manager, boat bottom painter, camera shop manager, construction laborer, electronics technician (USN)) this current one is by far the best, most interesting and challenging, and bigger fun than any of the others. Through it all, music has been the one most important thing for me.