What's you "other" job?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by iainmcl, May 7, 2008.

1. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    How would one go about getting jobs for that? Would you just call up a company or group to ask?

Or do they have posted requests on some website like how companies find employees from monster dot com?

2. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I teach trumpet, jazz ensembles, theory and improvisation at a community music school.I'm also an administrator in said school in Chicago. Good times, a lot of fun, and VERY satisfying. Also I'm the founder of the Anti-Melisma Society (our mission statement: "No more than two notes per syllable". The Society has the authorization to issue citations against offending singers and in extreme cases even a fatwa.

Michael McLaughlin

"Go,and darken my shirt collars no more!"
    Groucho Marx

3. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

DubbaCTrumpetMSU Mezzo Piano User

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    you and me both...

4. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

DubbaCTrumpetMSU Mezzo Piano User

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX

that's what I meant to put in there with my last post. :)

I don't think it counts if you're a student, but hey..I work at Best Buy, myself.

5. Catfish

Catfish New Friend

May 4, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    Not really topic related I know, but I have to ask. Is collage the same as University..

Sounds really ignorant I know, I am curious because we don't really have "collage" in Australia.. We have Universities and TAFE collages (stands for Technical and Further Education).. I am wondering if collage is the equivalent of our TAFE collages.

6. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I'm and Electronics Technician for the US Navy, specializing in Micro-miniature repair of circuit cards and going back to school for Electrical Engineering.

I love this thread! It is great to see how many different walks of life are trumpet players as well.

7. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Hi Catfish, College or University can refer to the same institution of higher learning, or sub-sections of it, all at the same time! Can be confusing. University is the higher "status" designation in academia, but not necessarily better education. Here are some definition components for College:

1.an institution of higher learning,sep. one providing a general or liberal arts education rather than technica or professional trainingg.
    2. a constituent unit of a university, furnishing courses of instruction in the liberal arts and sciences, usually leading to a bachelor's degree.
    3. an institution for vocational, technical, or professional instruction, as medicine, pharmacy, agriculture, or music, often a part of a university.
    4. an endowed, self-governing association of scholars incorporated within a university, as at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge in England.
    5. a similar corporation outside a university.
    6. the building or buildings occupied by an institution of higher education.
    7. the administrators, faculty and students of a college.
    8. (in Britain and Canada) a private secondary school.
    There are a couple more, but the most interesting: British Slang, a prison. The Old Bailey procedings for the last few hundred years are on line now, makes interesting reading.
    Def of University
    An institution of learning at the highest level ,para. including all of the above, graduate studies, etc. authorized to confer both undergraduate and graduate degress. Continental European universities usually have only graduate or professional schools.

8. gstoole

gstoole Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2006
    Newfoundland, Canada
    All

I am an Operations Shift Supeprvisor for a nickel processing plant.

9. Catfish

Catfish New Friend

May 4, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    Thanks MFfan, so when someone form the US says they have been to collage it doesn't necessarily mean University....

10. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    I work in marketing for a Pharmacy Benefit Management company (PBM). I work with sales, media, investors, etc., and have daily contact with a variety of people.

Playing my horn is an avocation rather than a vocation. (I don't get paid for playing.)

Those hours I spend in my community band and reenactment band are the best hours of my week.

I soon will be working to support my hobby, now that the kids are almost done with shool/college.

If you enjoy working with people, look into a marketing or sales position. I suspect that if you enjoy performing it is for the joy of the music and a chance to be heard. The right Marketing/Sales position keeps those stage presence skills active.

Cool thread. Thanks for starting it.