Whats your favoite case?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Mikey, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I have been using a custom made Walt Johnson Flight Case. It holds 2 full size horns and a piccolo. It is heavy, but if you drop it, it will just bounce and the horns are well protected. I don't use gig bags anymoer.
    I do have a Wolf Pack Triple, and also a couple of Pro-Tec, for when I am not touring.

By the way, I have a nice Reunion Blues leather triple trumpet gig bag for sale..

Mike

2. connman

connman New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    York, PA
    I like ProPac (ProTec) cases! I have the trumet/flugel combo. All my gigging is just around town, so I never had to worry about flying and checking my axes with air lines. I think they offer a lot for all the more they cost and are quite adequate for most players. I did buy one for my daughter (3) years ago fo rher clarinet. I figure if they stand the test of kids, they must be pretty good. You should see how some of those kids treat there instruments and cases on the buses or at the football games!

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I have to second the ProTec Trumpet/Flugel Combo case. It offers great protection, (even if it isn't the most durable of cases, from what I've heard) and I can fit about a metric ton of stuff in the over large side pocket.

And, it's light.

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    For a single Bb, I'd go with the Protec Xtreme. Great protection for the horn and a HUGE outer pouch that you can fit anything in. Once, I did a gig where i had all my mutes and music in there, after the gig I was getting undressed and threw some shirts, socks and my shoes in there as well, and I forgot where my shoes where till my next gig. The thing just has a ton of room and its super portable with the backpack straps.
    -J

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    So far I'm hanging in there with the old Torpedo Bag. Solid as a rock and with oodles of room for mutes and stuff. Even has a pocket on the side for my Playboy.....errr, practice music. :D

I've got a ProTec triple trumpet case but since I bought the Getzen Eterna cornet (which doesn't fit anyway), I've kind of stopped using it for the time being. But when I win that new Eclipse I'm gonna start taking both the Schilke and the Eclipse to band so I guess I won't sell the ProTec just yet. :)

Trumpet salesman from Calgary (Yamaha rep) was down this-a-way about a month ago and sat in with us...was very interested in the Torpedo bag and wanted to know where he could get one.

6. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Walt Johnson

7. latinjazzcat

latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    I'd have to agree with the Protec. Although it's starting to get somewhat worn down, it's sustained a ton of abuse (as mentioned earlier, you'd be amazed at how I....err....some of these people treat their instruments!! :lol: Actually, most of the damage on mine was NOT self-inflicted, I'm proud to claim). The pocket on the side also stores a LOT of music. The only issue with that being, after awhile the weight can start to get rather extensive! :)

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The best thing about the ProTec cases is the price. I look at it this way: If I get 3 - 5 years out of my Trumpet/Flugel combo case and then I have to replace it, (I'll most likely get much more out of that case since I've already used it for almost a year and it's still in great shape) It isn't like I'm going to be spending the same kind of money for it as I would for a Reunion Blues all leather tripple bag.

Lets see, the ProTec combo case - $96.75
    (http://www.abimusic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-pb301f.html?E+scstore)

or the Reunion Blues Leather Tripple - $277 or Nylon $169
    (http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=75564)

The ProTec costs less, holds more and protects more in my opinion.

9. 2LIP

2LIP New Friend

Nov 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountain Cases

I have a combo Rocky Mountain case and I think it's great. Lightweight, but very sturdy. I also have a Reunion Blues Triple bag for sale if anyone wants it. I always used it for Trumpet/Flugel and put mutes, oil, etc. in the middle smaller pocket. If you need a gig bag, this is the standard in Black Cordura.

LIP

10. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    Wolfpak Trumpet/Flugel combo. It's a bit time consuming, but it's worth it. It balances and distributes the weight so the case doesn't seem nearly as heavy as it is. Outstanding case!