What's your favorite all-around mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by WinkyP, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Claude Gnocchi

Claude Gnocchi Mezzo Forte User

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    I have more than 200 I can chose from, and I have had different "favorites" for different periods of my playing life....however, they are usually variants by different makers of a "standard Bach size" of 5 thru 101/2. Right now, I am loving one of Trent Austin's creation; an ACB-5B/1B/24, great piece & works really well w/my modified Buescher Aristocrat w/Martin Galaxy bell.

2. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Piano User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Mine is a Schilke 53, and has been since I was 8 or so - of course that wont work too well on a trumpet. My trumpet is currently a Schilke 17d4d and I have both a matching cornet and an 18E, depending on darkness required. But, I started with the 53 to make the point that what works for me may (probably will) not work for you. Mouthpieces, perhaps even more than horns, need to fit the player and we are all unique.

3. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Piano User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    I have been using a Curry 50TC for the past few days. There is no honeymoon period. I need to work at it but I love the sound I am getting and getting down to F# below the staff is so easy. And this is one very, very, comfortable MP. This could end up being my favorite. We will see.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Asymmetric 3C+544

5. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Piano User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Curry makes a helluva mouthpiece. I am really loving the 50TC.

6. Strobe

Strobe New Friend

Jul 5, 2016
    Solon, Ohio
    Tried an asymmetric mouthpiece for the 1st time last month - very strange for me. I'd be interested in learning what you like about it and if there are any "tricks" to using it compared to a std mouthpiece. (benefits, drawbacks, etc.) Thanks!

7. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    deleted

8. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    I had good times with my Early Elkhart Plant Bach 5C. I've had and played many Bach mouthpieces and the 5C has been a semi-all rounder, as I use it on my piston/rotary horns as well.

I've had a few number a mouthpieces, not the most experienced with mouthpieces but I have tried old English cornet mouthpieces, German 1 1/2C, Conn mouthpieces, Yamaha and etc.

Yamaha 11E4 was my first mouthpiece, that was a nice starter.

9. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    Basically, since I went on (the shortest ever) mouthpiece safari about 5 years ago, and a friend let me try his (Monette clone) Kanstul M-B4, I haven't looked back. Utterly the most comfortable mouthpiece I have tried. Roughly a Bach 3C, but an everso slightly flatter rim, which I really like. (Since high school I had been on a Bach 1C, and a year or two before the safari, I tried the Megatone 1C, but that was it).

10. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    Schilke 15B