What's your favorite finish?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kayin, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    Just looking over what my Ebay spree has gotten me, and my refinishing supplies, and I thought I'd ask, what's everyone's favorite finish?

I tend to really like the silverplate with gold accents, but I've got a brass sandblast coming in as well, and my C trumpet is brass swirl finish. What do you guys like? Any good examples?

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    My favorite finish is whatever instrument sounds the best for what I am doing. Truly most are silverplate, but some are lacquer, and a few are sterling silver.

3. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    My WIFE!

(She┬┤s Finnish . . .) :-)

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I prefer the shiny brass with the nickel-plated highlights and lacquer. But, mostly because that's the way a lot of the vintage trumpets originally came and I like to restore them to original condition. Of course I really like the ones with multiple-colors of metal like the Conns with the Coprion bells and also the Olds tri-color models such as the Special with the bronze bell flare, the Studio with the Nickel bell flare and the Recording with the Rey-o-loy bell. I do like some (very few) with the satin finish but there is a very narrow band for my preference - it can be too much or too little very easily so I don't try to do it because I am never sure I will like the outcome. The silver with the gold-plated highlights are pretty at first glance but I am not sure I would ever show up in public to play one. Someone might mistake me for a pimp or dealer.

5. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Original style......

The new lacquers last forever.......

6. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Sterling Silver

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Brass/lacquer because silver goes yellow in the sun. Then brown then ecch.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I like shiney anything / everything but generally it's impractical - finger marks, smears, water splatter marks. Shiney causes you to stand out on stage though - especially if everything is really sparkly clean. My favourite is brushed / satin finish silverplate with polished highlights - nice. :play:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I'm kinda like CBK, I like the laquered brass with silver/nickle accents best. At the moment though, all the horns here are silver save for one. I'm also more traditional when it comes to water keys, too. don't like the looks of the Amado type...........Buck:play::oops:

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Raw scratched brass.