What's your favorite finish?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kayin, Jun 1, 2010.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    24K Gold. I have very acidic sweat and Gold seems to hold up best. Then silver, then lacquer, then raw brass. Actually, I hate raw brass. Hve to play with both a "complete coverage" valve guard and cloth. One touch and the brass turns in 15 minutes.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If the horn has an interesting mix of metals, I like lacquer. If not, silver plate is fine. Sandblast silver or gold finishes are interesting, too. I don't like scratch finishes or raw brass.

3. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Scratch gold with bright highlights! My Eclipse MR is beautiful. Everybody notices it.

4. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I like the kind of black / burned raw brass look.
    besides that: silverplate with golden buttons, caps, inside of bell, ect, and a lot of engraving.

5. andrewoc15

andrewoc15 New Friend

May 23, 2010
    New Jersey
    Brushed gold. Just a tad expensive.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My favorite finish is the high concert C as the last note of the Brandenburg Concerto Nr. 2.

I play it on a picc with a raw red brass bell.

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    As Ralph used to say to Alice....Har har hardy har har......:-)

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    .... touche. :lol:

9. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    It really depends on the horn.

I have three vintage Conn cornets, all in satin (bead blast) silver, with burnished (shiny) slides and engraving, and shiny gold-wash bells (just the inside). On those horns (especially the 48A Vocabell with Pan engraving), I can't imagine a better finish. But I tend to find that same finish gaudy on modern horns.

I have a late '50s Olds Recording with very little remaining lacquer. It needs some work, but if I ever get it refinished it will have to be in clear lacquer, to show off the tri-color look of yellow brass, nickel silver, and "Re-O-loy" bell and leadpipe. Same thing goes with the Calicchio copper flugel I bought (used), raw. I hated the aesthetics of raw copper, and had it lacquered.

But the Schilke I recently sold was just right in shiny silver. Except for the fact that I go through silver, so there was brass showing through at several wear points. But the simple elegance of the Schilke design is best, IMO, in silver.

10. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Always dug the Xeno Shotblast...just wish I could afford one! :cool:
    Have fun,
    -Andrew