What's your favorite musical ensemble?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by melodictrumpet, Mar 8, 2011.

What's your favorite large musical ensemble?

1. Concert Band

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Symphony Orchestra

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. British Brass Band

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Brass Choir

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Big Band

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. melodictrumpet

melodictrumpet New Friend

Nov 23, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Tell us all the musical ensembles you play in and pick a single favorite out of all of them and explain why you like it above the others.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. rainbowboy023

rainbowboy023 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2011
    Australia
    I play in 5 groups professionally including a symphony orchestra, a big band, a brass quintet, a chamber wind nonet, and a jazz septet and in 2 amateur groups a British brass band and a concert band. My favorite ensemble out of these would be a brass quintet because I enjoy the intimacy of a small group and also enjoy switching between horns (I'll often Bb, C, Eb/D, piccolo, cornet, and flugel in 1 concert) as well as all the mutes I get to use and the versatility of the group as well as the sound it has. Since brass quintets on their, I chose brass choir since I suppose one could say a brass quintet is a mini brass choir.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    A toss between Big band and Brass Choir, play Big band every week, Brass Choir only once a year at Music camp, enjoy playing in all forms. although I havent played Brass Band for 60+ years.

Regards, Stuart.

4. melodictrumpet

melodictrumpet New Friend

Nov 23, 2010
    Planet Earth
    I play in a big band, jazz quintet, concert band and orchestra, I chose orchestra while I love the sound of brass, I don't like the sound of a lot off brass, in my opinion brass should only make up a 4th or less of an ensemble.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The consummate trumpeter wants it all! Any opportunity to make music is equally rewarding. I don't consider a brass quitet to be a choir so my fav. wasn't listed. I like groups with one player per part (except for the strings or woodwinds).

6. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    The smaller the group, the better the players have to be.

7. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    Just on a purely musical thought, and stepping away from the "Large Ensemble" criteria for a second, I honestly think a String Quartet has possibly the most beautiful and perfect sound on earth, if performing at the top caliber level.

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    You mean in a really large group the players can all be rubbish? :lol:

--bumblebee

9. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I LOVE playing in big bands! I've been gigging with big bands since I was 15 yrs old, and get a tremendous amount of joy out of it. I also enjoy Jazz combos, and brass quintets. The others...well, not that I hate them or get nothing musically fulfilling from them, but they are not the groups I prefer to play in if I have a choice. The one thing I HATE and will NEVER do again when I retire from the Navy is marching band. I can't find a single musically redeeming quality about it and never will.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is pretty naive and I think 101 Chicago Symphony Orchestra players would disagree.

The results with mediocre players in a brass quintet are no different than with a wind band.