What's your favorite musical ensemble?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by melodictrumpet, Mar 8, 2011.

What's your favorite large musical ensemble?

1. Concert Band

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Symphony Orchestra

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. British Brass Band

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Brass Choir

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Big Band

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. ColinWhite

ColinWhite Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2010
    East Lansing, MI
    The orchestra doesn't really the best sound in my opinion, but it has the best repertoire. Hundreds of years of some of the greatest music ever written - can't beat that (or at least, not for the next several hundred years).

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I play in, and enjoy, Stage and Show Bands in the Big Band style, but my absolute favourite is Concert Band, I just find that there is more chance for ballads - which I enjoy in the scores.

I'm with Flugelgirl in that Marching Band is a genre not for me, it's for football games - and I'm not very keen on football although in my earlier years I was drawn to Rugby - although I played pennants at school I'm just too slow to be any good any more.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  3. andrewoc

andrewoc New Friend

Feb 7, 2010
    New Jersey
    Pit bands... I like the music :play:

Definitely agree with the marching band thing, but it's required to participate in any other band so I deal with it.

4. I voted for concert band, I love the repertoire as well as the different sounds and colors of the group, I find myself especially lucky to be able to play in a professional concert band with others who have as much passion towards music as I do, although I listen to orchestras more because professional wind bands are harder find than pro orchestras.

5. brian.hess

brian.hess New Friend

Mar 13, 2011
    Port Orchard, Washington
    rofl

6. brian.hess

brian.hess New Friend

Mar 13, 2011
    Port Orchard, Washington
    British Brass Bands, the music is technically difficult and musicially challenging, and the guys of the Farragut Brass in Bremerton were a lot of fun to work with. I plan to rejoin with them once I have made the time. I am currently building my business. . . . very busy.

Brian

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My favorite is the British Brass Band, but I tend to like them all. Each has a unique repertoire, playing demands, and equipment requirements. I find quintet work to be among the most challenging, especially when performing difficult music...there's nowhere to hide...:D

8. TrumpetDreamerBoy

TrumpetDreamerBoy New Friend

Mar 27, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I voted for British brass band. I play the flugelhorn in my local one, and just find it to be such a musically satisfying experience, the music is fun and challenging and I enjoy playing a solo part (since there's only 1 flugel) and the parts are very exposed so I'm more aggressive in my trumpet playing as well now, no longer being fearful of making mistakes.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I was going to vote Wind Ensemble, but it wasn't a choice. :-( (;-))

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I used to play in a professional concert band. The jobs dried up and so did the band. I'm curious how you guys are keeping it together.