What's Your FAVORITE Trumpet Book?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mrfabulous963, Dec 15, 2005.

1. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    Another one of my "Out Of Curiosity" questions.

Use this Format:

1) Book Title
    2) Book Author

Followed by a breif description and reason why you like it!

2. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    1)Technical Studies For Cornet
    2) H.L. Clarke

Not sure why, just like it! My teacher refers to these as "long tones with multiple fingerings"

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Complete Conservatory Method for Cornet/Trumpet
    J.B. Arban, published by Carl Fischer

The "bible" of trumpet study. This thing is massive...weighs in at a bruising 3 lbs (guessing) and has at least 6 languages. (I like to leave it open to the Korean or Japanese and pretend I'm reading it when students come in!) This book (tome, more like) has almost everything you need to be successful and can be used to solve almost any problem. It covers all bases, and should be an integral part of any trumpeter's library.

4. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    Myself and everyone I know owns this book, used it for years, A friend of mine has a more antique version as well, circa 1920

5. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    1) Methode
    2) Quinque

Great book for a short or long practice session.
    Includes long tones, then flexibility, and eventually range work.
    As I recall from the guy who first told me about it, either Broiles or Vacchiano played and taught out of it.

6. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    1) Cornet method
    2) Arban

To be honest I think it is my favourite book because I have had it since I was 13 so have spent many hours over the last 20 years studying it, so it's quite tattered and sentimental! I love the 18 solos and 14 studies at the back. Mine is the old British Version for Cornet, and is quite different from my friends US version which has duests in and mm markings - it doesn't seem to have as many exercises in it as mine. I don't really think there is one book that does it all - I use a variety of books to study different aspects of playing. Do you all do this or do you use a single method book? I am using the Vizzutti books at the moment for warm up/technical studies for example.

Graham

7. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    [
    I don't really think there is one book that does it all - I use a variety of books to study different aspects of playing. Do you all do this or do you use a single method book? I am using the Vizzutti books at the moment for warm up/technical studies for example.

Graham[/quote]

quite right, I use regularaly

Bai Lin, Colin, Irons (address the same issues from differnt angles)
    Concone or Collins
    Arban and Saint Jacome
    Clarke or Vizzutti

Although out of a book like Arbans or St. Jacome one can get almost all the bases covered the different books take a different angle and in the case of Arban and St. Jacome I find that they compliment each other, they both have weeknesses that the other does not. ( for example; I think Arban doesnt cover the minor scales well, St. Jacome does)

8. FrancisA1915

FrancisA1915 New Friend

Dec 14, 2005
    Illinois
    Arbans. Great book. However, my trumpet instructor in college took the "most essential" parts from Arban and put them into one book. Daily Studies for Trumpet. Unpublished. But I love it. I play the entire book every day. I use the Arban's quite extensively, but, the daily book is about 65 pages and wonderful for every day use.

9. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    The Trumpet
    Ed Tarr

There are many method books around that are fantastic, in their own way, but this book is the one that really sparked my interest in the history of the trumpet, what it could be used for, the different sorts of trumpet, in fact everything beyond how to actually play it.

If only it was still in print

10. FrancisA1915

FrancisA1915 New Friend

Dec 14, 2005
    Illinois
    The Trumpet

Where can I get a copy of that book!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I have been looking EVERYWHERE and cannot find it. Any help? :dontknow: