What's Your FAVORITE Trumpet Solo?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mrfabulous963, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Weedyweidenthal

Weedyweidenthal Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    The first movement (sarcasm) of either maynard's Maria or Macarthur Park :D All that legit stuff gets on my nerves.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Pavanne--Gould? as played by Al Hirt and the BSO

A Trumpeters Prayer--Camarata as played by Gozzo

-cw-

3. FrancisA1915

FrancisA1915 New Friend

Dec 14, 2005
    Illinois
    Frank[/quote]

My wife and I did that together in a recital, and then I did it with my brother in law. The trumpet part is fine, but you have to be a monster of a singer to pull that one off! What a GREAT PIECE.[/quote]

I performed this in college as a winner of the 1997 Southern Illinois Concerto Competition. One of my highlights. GREAT PIECE OF MUSIC. I love it.

4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Did you do it by yourself, or with a vocalist?

5. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I've recently performed Handel's Sonata in D (picc with A pipe) with a full pipe organ accompaniment. Wow! It was the first picc piece I've perofrmed with pipe organ. It is always a joy to play.

In jazz, I must say I love playing "I Remember..." by Dana Wilson.

And Quatre Variations sur un theme de Dominico Scarlati by Marcel Bitsch.

There's too many. (And as a matter of fact these three pieces are what I played in my 4th year undergrad recital on St. Patrick's Day this past year). Thought the guy that did up my poster did a great job. (Just thought I'd stick that out there) :D

[​IMG]

6. FrancisA1915

FrancisA1915 New Friend

Dec 14, 2005
    Illinois
    I Remember...........

TOUGH STUFF! That is the ITG Compsition Contest winner, right?

I performed Serephim with probably the best soloist in Southern Illinois. That piece is so much fun when you have the vocalist that can pull it off.

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I very much like the "Aria con Variazioni" by Handel arranged for us. Not difficult but beautifully arranged.

ML

8. FrancisA1915

FrancisA1915 New Friend

Dec 14, 2005
    Illinois
    My trumpet professor had me play that during my undergrad. That was originally written for harpsichord? If I remember correctly. Great piece.

frank

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    :-o "Aria con Variazoni"...I cut my university chops on that one in my first solo class as a freshman in college...many, many moon ago. In fact, it was the impetus to solidify my triple tongue technique. Wow Manny, of all the ones to mention. The other day I was filing away a bunch of music that has piled up in my studio. I saw that solo sitting there as I filed another away and remembered what a nice piece it was. Heh...thanks for the trip down amnesia lane. I think I will blow through it tomorrow on my cornet just for fun.

10. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Yes it is. I performed it in March. I love it!!! At my school you're kind of forced to find music that either you play by yourself with no accompanist, or music that your accompanist can manage to play. It's sad really. Really, really sad.