What's your practice room like?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdshankles, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    In winter: "my" computer/tv/rec room OR family living room (9' cathedral ceiling) but on a warm, sunny day in winter: the sunroom (8'X16' curved lexan panels... "solar" heating only)
    In summer: the garage... 18'X30', high ceiling (unheated)... great resonance. On a really nice summer day sometimes... in the back yard.

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My entire practice room is covered in receipts... day one of tax time ;)

AGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHG

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

-T

3. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    Trent, do yourself a favour and pay somebody else to get your accounts in order - a book keeper we call them over here. Why torture yourself. I just found a great guy who is really happy to go through a bin liner of loose papers and get everything in tip top order to present to my accountant for £12 an hour. The best money I ever spent. Don't torture yourself - your time could be far better spent making music - or just relaxing and whatever you pay will be tax deductable too! :D

Back on topic. I just recently allowed myself the luxury of hiring a room for practice and teaching. Its a large space with wood floors and a great view. I'm just experimenting with some soft furnishings, rugs and wall hangings, to fine tune the accoustics. I like a room that is warm sounding with some good feedback, not dead but not too ringy either. In the past I have also done like Clarence and walked from room to room to experience their various accoustic properties. I used to keep a trumpet on a stand in every room in the house at one stage.

I do think there are advantages to playing in very dead rooms from time to time too - it can help prepare you for some of the less than helpful environments you may encounter on jobs. Thankfully the onetime trend in smaller studios in London to have carpeted rooms seems to have been reversed but sometimes in a pit you can be completely surrounded by sound dampening material - very draining and soul destroying.

I can also recommend taking your horn into the great outdoors if you get a chance. If you are standing in the middle of a field you won't have any reflected sound and it makes you focus on the quality of your air stream and the sensations in your chops from maintaining a good core - you really have to find the centre of the slots to get anything like a decent tone out of the horn. Having said that I did once find a cliff top in Finland where I could play a phrase and hear 5 distinct echos of increasing delay lengths bouncing back to me across the water from the surrounding rocks and islands - that was fun. Anyone tried out the grand canyon for size?

All the best. Noel.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I practice in "Karen's music room", or the basement.

[​IMG]

-cw-

5. HarryMarks

HarryMarks New Friend

Sep 19, 2004
    Santa Rosa CA
    I usually practice in my home office. It is 10' X 10' and allows me to close the door to the rest of the house. Before I do a church solo, I will shift to my great room in order to get some reverberation (the room is 14 X 17 and has a 18 foot ceiling).

I am working on a plan to convert one bay of my 3 car garage to a studio so I can play without disturbing the rest of the house.

I also practice in a school practice room. Very dead and a good guage of tone when I can set off the piano in the room.

6. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    And I bet you STILL get some hassle about leaving your trumpet sitting that far out from the wall! :-P

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    So.... Chuck's "basement" has a 6'X4' "window"? (or is that a patio door).

How else ya gonna get a couple of pianies and a Lawler thingamajigy down there? :D

(Wish our piano looked as good.... alas it was built in 1908 and still has original finish. I'd get it redone but that quarter-sawn oak looks soooo classic!) I think it moved from Ontario to "out here" in the back of an immigrant's "Red River Cart"!

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    No Ed, that is Karen's room off the living room.

I just have those teeny tiny windows in my basemant. lol

-cw-

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I practice in my daughter's bedroom with acts as her bedroom, my ham radio room, the family computer room, and my practice room.

She is only with me and my wife part time as she resides in Michigan with her mother so this gives me a chance to use this room. When she's here with us it's a bit harder.

Noting special just a regular bedroom of normal size 10 X 12 maybe?

I sometimes blow warmups before Church on Sunday mornings outside the Church. Our chuch is in a valley in the rolling foothills of the Georgia mountians. It's cool because I can play and when I stop I get 2 or 3 seconds of delayed trumpet playing coming back at me.

Ahhhh, echo and reverb so much fun.

10. supremetrumpet

supremetrumpet New Friend

Dec 20, 2005
    I have two practice rooms. One of them is my living room(couch, carpet, TV), and the other practice room has 4 wheels and a steering wheel (I practice in it whenever I can't practice at home because it's too loud. Actually, lately I practiced in it most of the time).