When and What?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by edcon1981, Jun 26, 2008.

1. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    So, i've been playing trumpet for 15 years now. for the past fourteen i've had the same bundy Bb horn. Spent six years in marching band, was in the Rutger's Honors band twice as first trumpet (third and fourth chair), have continued to maintain how good i am since i graduated HS in '99, and am now starting with a drum and bugle corps and want to "get back into it"...

Should i be moving onto a better trumpet by now? and if so what?

i AM NOT well versed in trumpet make, mfg, or history. i haven't really strayed from the key of Bb. the only other instrumets i've played is marching baritone for one season of mb (just to fill a void), and the jaw harp.

What do you guys think? :dontknow:

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    I think I want to know more about the Jaw Harp.

3. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    lol, the jaw harp isn't the topic of the conversation. i know plenty about jaw harps. i am a jaw harp afficiondo.

okay that was a lie. i own one jaw harp that i bought in gettysburg pa on a family vacation just to irritate the rest of my family... and to kill time while sitting in the stands as other marching bands performed ;-)

4. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Eb Yamaha Xeno Jaw harp with silver satin finish/gold accents....very nice :)

5. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    NO!!!!! I want a new trumpet dammit, not a new jaw harp!!!!

Hold on, did you say a jaw harp with a silver satin finish w/gold accents? okay, i'm listenin... wait, there's no such thing as an Eb jaw harp, they're all keyed B#

6. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    so tehy are all keyed in C...

any way as for trumpets.

Check out some Getzens. Kanstul's seem to be good.

7. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    so maybe something in a getzen eterna 900 or eterna II 700?

what's the price range for those bad boys?

8. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I have a 700S Getzen....don't like it. Plays a little tight to me, did get it new for 450 bucks though...chuck

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Edcon,
    picking a horn is like picking a wife, you only get it right the first time by luck or research. My advice is to ignore any brand recommendations and to PLAY EVERYTHING you can get your hands on, read everything in print and if you have questions, look for the answers instead of assuming that you will be neutrally spoon fed.

Your playing seems to be at a reasonably high level. I would look for a new horn costing somewhere between $1500 and $2000. If you are playing the community band/wind orchestra/marching band route, there is almost NOTHING that can go wrong with ANY of the name brand instruments. Just make sure you play before you pay.

As you will be marching with it, make sure that you test drive it outdoors long enough to hear how you get along with it. Trumpets behave much differently in music stores than on the field!

10. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    thanx rowuk. looks like i have some research to do. problem is not many places will let you take a horn that doesn't belong to you out in the field for a test drive.

what you say makes sense, i could go out and buy the most expensive horn but it wouldn't do me any good if i couldn't get along with it.