When did it Change over?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, May 16, 2015.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    When I had a combo some. 50years ago wbooe used to call the Real book " the Fake book.when did it change?

2. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    I think they are two different books?

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
  4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The same book, except that I believe there were some errors in the Fake Book, so they were edited out - The REAL Book also sounds a lot more accurate than the Fake Book.

The Real Books were getting impossible - I have 3 volumes and a Fakebook, very hard to cart around. The new books are designed for computers.

There are many out there:
    The Real Book Volumes I, II and III in C, Bb, Eb, and a Bass Clef for Book 1
    The Million Dollar Library - 10 Volumes
    Nestico Fake Book
    Disney Fake Book
    Vanilla Book - Chord changes
    Collection of Golden Standards
    Fakebook of Swing Jazz
    Monster Book
    Thelonious Monk Fakebook
    Real Book of Blues
    Spaces 1 to 6 Books
    Slick Book 1&2
    Russian Fake Book
    Great Gig Book
    Volume 1 1 to 1000 songs
    Firehouse Jazz Band
    Jazz Ltd
    Cuban Fakebook
    Colarado Fakebook
    Brazilian Jazz Realbook
    557 Standards
    World Hits of Oldies
    Charlie Parker Book
    Variety Book
    The NEW Real Book 1 to 3
    Firehouse Jazz band

These became available through a Realbook software, so a search function allows a song to come up quickly.
    These are useful on iPads, and saved many forests.

5. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    There is also a book of solos, and this has been useful. They provide transcriptions of original solos, and a mp3 link, so you can practice and print the solo if you want it.

I think I bought mine about 10 years ago, so they have been around in the computer form for a while.

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    "Fake book" is a generic term for any book of songs put together specifically to use on casual dates.

There have been a number of (generic) fake books, probably the most well known is the Real Book.

Have some of you actually seen a fake book titled "Fake Book"?

7. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes,
    That list above is the actual names of the Books - several are labelled Fake Books. I have a really old tatty one from 60's - the Real Book was a more Modern update of the original Fake Book. They cover Melody, Chords and have lyrics where applicable.

Those links from Wiki give a good explanation of the origins.

8. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hey thank you for clearing that up cause some of my band members were wiseguys when I asked them why do they call it a fake book? their answer was " cause it's fake " arrrrg!

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Thanks, that's interesting. I've got a bunch of fake books (one actually bought out of the trunk of a guy's car) of various names, but I've never seen one with only "Fake Book" as the title.

10. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    The guy who made the computer version of "The iReal Book" called it that until ASCAP got after him and made him change the name to iRealB because the original title, "Real Book" is copyrighted. He's worked hard to make it as useful as possible to instrumentalists and now calls it iRealPro.

It's interesting though, that the contents - all those 1,200 or so songs in the original printed Real Book couldn't be protected by the guy who published the print copy of the Real Book, and thus were available to the computerized version under a new name; iRealPro. (just Google it).
    I think by now it's up to about 1,300 tunes, and is a great addition to any instrumentalists armamentarium.

T/