When did you learn to double tongue?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oohhh yeah, Feb 20, 2009.

When could you guys double tongue well?

1. high school

55 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. College/University

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. What is double tongue?

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. after college/university

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Hey guys, I was wondering when you guys can double tongue well, and by well I mean faster than single tongue.:play:

2. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I learned how to double tongue at 3 in the morning at one of Spirits Rehersals. It was very hard for me (I was playing contrabass at the time). But after doing it everyday for 3 months I got the hang off it. When I got home I quickly transfered it to the trumpet. And ever since it has be apart of my warm-ups.

Enjoy

3. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    i learned freshman year in hs as it was a requirement for our marching show.

4. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    I'm in Grade 11, been playing since start of Grade 10. Only just started working on doubletonguing recently.

5. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Right now, I'm in grade 9, and my double tongue is slower than my single tongue:( Is that under or over average?

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Sometime toward the start of 7th grade. My 2 friends and I started working up Bugler's Holiday for competition.

7. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    That's fine. Just keep practicing. It will take a while to get fast.

8. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    I actually learned triple tounging first in 7th grade so that would be middle school, but since that wasn't a choice in the poll I selected high school.

9. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I am in the same boat as Firestas, I learned in about the 7th grade to triple tongue which was before I learned to double tongue. Therefore, I marked high school.

10. hornblatt

hornblatt Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2005
    DC area
    I learned plenty earlier than high school. Happen to have a teacher who busted my butt on multiple tounging once he found out I was doing well on everything else. All it takes is practice. I've recently gone back and worked up my single tounging so I don't have the annoying gap where something it to slow to double tounge but to fast to single tounge. I'm pretty consistent playing 16th notes at 136 or so. Double tounging is the same way. start slow and work towards getting faster. Really work on your "k" tounge though. It's not worth having the speed if it sounds bad or is uneven. It'll come with time and hard work. good luck!