When did you learn to double tongue?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oohhh yeah, Feb 20, 2009.

When could you guys double tongue well?

1. high school

55 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. College/University

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. What is double tongue?

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. after college/university

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Shouldn't you learn to double tongue first before you learn to triple tongue?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    No

3. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    I learned during my senior of high school when 2 of my friends and I were graduating and our director wanted to feature us in the spring concert. He suggested Bugler's Holiday. Well we couldn't double tongue yet, so we promised him we would learn. We did, and had a blast performing it.
    While in college our concert band had Phil Smith as the guest soloist and I got to chance to play it again with him!!
    Bob

4. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    In beginning band my 6th grade year. I had private lessons and the director was also good friends with my father. I could tongue faster than single my 6th grade year, but lost control after doing it continuously. I am fine now though:-)

5. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    Arban's book mentions learning triple tonguing first, as that supposedly makes double tonguing easier afterward. Though I picked up Arban's pretty late and still having gotten the hang of triple tonguing. Funny thing is I picked up Flutter tonguing first when I was having trouble with fast sixteenth notes in 8th grade. It didn't work but it was a cool thing at the time.

6. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Flutter Notes?

7. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I actually could fluently double toungue in 8th grade... All it takes is practice, like so many others have said.

8. Irith

Irith New Friend

Feb 3, 2008
    I started working on it in 8th grade, but I first had to actually use in it 9th, since I was in an ensemble playing Bugler's Holiday and one of the region band etudes had lots of double tonguing.
    But I've only gotten good at double tonguing while changing notes this year in 10th.

9. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    I learned the summer between the sophomore year and junior year of high school. My teacher assigned me a solo that required that and triple tonguing, so I had to get it ready quick.
    One thing that I don't like about double tonguing; I got so dependent on it that I now single tongue much slower than I used to. My freshman marching show had star wars and the 20th century fox fanfare, and I could do it all single tongued. Now, it kicks my butt.

10. Artemisia

Artemisia Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2009
    Austria
    Double tongueing kicks ass. End of.