When did you learn to double tongue?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oohhh yeah, Feb 20, 2009.

When could you guys double tongue well?

1. high school

55 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. College/University

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. What is double tongue?

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. after college/university

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. greenpeppers

greenpeppers New Friend

Mar 31, 2008
    I just learned a few weeks ago. I would practice "ta-ka ta-ka" withouth the mouthpiece whenever I was by myself and one day it just clicked. I'm two years into playing the trumpet and I finally got it. Woo hoo! Now if I could only learn to flutter tongue....

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I could double tongue by the time I got into high school, but I didn't really develop it until I was a junior and played the Goedicke Concert Etude. It was decent then, but I didn't really get it down until I was well into my first year as a functioning Army Bandsman - I used to do entire practice sessions where all I would do was work my multiple tonguing. I never really mastered it, but I was good enough at it that it got pretty crisp.

3. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

8th grade :play:

4. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I haven't yet but in the near future my teacher says I may be ready. It has always seemed like huge mystery to me.

David.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    5th grade. The sooner one starts, the better. There is nothing "hard" about fast tonguing if you start early and do it instead of thinking about it. We all know that the brain is MUCH slower than habits.............

My beginner students get double tonguing after the first couple lessons and triple tonguing a couple of weeks later. They have to play a scale a week anyway, we use them.

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    6th grade, pretty much as soon as I started the trumpet. I had single, double and triple tongue every day starting after the first few weeks, I think.

Multiple tongue isn't really any "harder" than single, it's just a different skill. Think about how much single tongue most people do in a day (as part of each attack, scale, study, etude etc...), and how little multiple tongue. Some people probably single tongue several hundred times, probably more, each day, but maybe only five minutes of double and triple. Is it any wonder so many struggle with multiple tongue? It's just like anything else, you have to do it (A LOT!!) to be really good. Also, helpful is to make the double and triple tongue part of music (cornet solos, for example) to get your mind away from how the tongue works.

7. SenorTaco

SenorTaco New Friend

Feb 16, 2009
    Weslaco, TX
    I learned in 9th grade by playing my high school fight chant too fast XD Triple tonguing, I learned in 10th grade, but I did ta-ka-ta and then in 12th grade, I relearned using ta-ta-ka.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I almost always use ta-ka-ta for triple tonguing unless the articulation in the phrase dictates that the other, ta-ta-ka, works better. It's nice to be able to do both in a pinch. :-)

It has always seemed to me that double and triple tonguing concepts aren't that difficult to understand, but that in order for a player to be able to execute them well, they have to be using their air correctly. That's one of the reasons I incorporate articulation exercises into my maintenance routine - at my age and place in life, I'm not trying to improve, I'm just trying to not lose what I've got! In any case, using articulation exercises has always helped me to keep my chops focused and keep my air moving right, or at least it seems to work that way.

As an example, I went on a cruise vacation last summer and didn't have a horn to play for a full week. I had a gig the day after I got back so the day I got back, I got out the horn and did some chops focus work with articulation exercises, and I did it again the next afternoon prior to leaving for the gig. You'd think that after a week off of the horn, I would have had chops issues - endurance problems at the least - but my playing was on fire that night, and I attribute it to using the tonguing exercises to re-focus my chops.

I know - a bit off the topic of the question, but IMO, learning to double and triple tongue should be learned sooner rather than later for a developing player. It wasn't until I was about 20 that I started to understand the correlation (for me - might be different from others) that articulation studies focused and cleaned up other aspects of my playing.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Since I was already taking lessons before high school, I had double going by the time I got there. Had triple going by senior year. Brought it back by 8 years after graduation in a community band. Good thing too, we did Bugler's Holiday that year...........Buck:oops:

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Learned DT in the 8th or 9th grade, got good at it by the 11th or 12th grade. Really learned to play fast passages (every note different) with it over the last 15 years or so. When it gets to a certain speed, the passages almost have to be learned, as it's difficult to read music and react that quickly. Coordinating the fingers with the tongue is something that requires a lot of practice, and switching horns with different valve throws and "feel" can mess you up. I can still play fastest (cleanly) on Bach instruments, because the valve action speed and feel are ingrained in me from playing the brand all these years.