When did you learn to double tongue?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oohhh yeah, Feb 20, 2009.

When could you guys double tongue well?

1. high school

55 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. College/University

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. What is double tongue?

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. after college/university

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    I, too, learned multiple tonguing almost immediately... I don't even remember being "taught". Around fourth grade, I was playing along with Herb Alpert and the TJB records and did what I heard.

Maybe I was just lucky!

Guy

2. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    I was in 9th grade when I got it. For me it was strange one night I went to bed unable to do it, the next day I could haha... And I cant triple yet.

3. Harry Richardson

Harry Richardson New Friend

Jan 17, 2010
    I was in 7th grade when my band director started teaching me. At the time, I actually tongued between my teeth, so learning to double tongue was extremely difficult for me until I fixed my single tongue. The good thing though was that I learned to single tongue really fast. I've seen many people that learned early in their careers fail to develop a fast single tongue simply because they don't try to single tongue fast.

4. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Next week, I hope.

5. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Um... I learned in 8th grade. I played Bugler's Holiday, so it pretty much taught me to double tongue. You should include all options, otherwise polls are worth putting up.

6. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    I too was taught double and triple tonguing in the sixth or seventh grade for all the wrong reasons. The reason that my single tonguing was so GD slow was precisely because I was "anchor tonguing". The single was more of a "cha" instead of a "ta" and my "teacher" decided that Arban's was what I needed to do. WRONG. Finally, with the help of my teacher, I straightened the whole articulation issue in COLLEGE - that's a long time to do something simple so incorrectly: I think about all of those years of missed attacks and cracking notes in the middle of a phrase - WHY? - simply because my tongue wasn't pointed and directed properly. It is right to forgive but in this case my teacher's ignorance (a graduate from a prestigious NY music school) borders on unforgivable.

It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

7. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    I actually learned it at my first real trumpet lesson (in conjunction with triple) in 7th grade. I had just moved up to the 8th grade band when I started getting lessons, and the first song handed to me by my band director had double tounging, so I learned that first.

8. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I've always been real curious as to how to actually double or triple tongue. I learned about it right before High School, but stopped playing then as well and never learned how to double or triple tongue. Several years later (about 8 months ago) I picked up a trumpet and have been playing ever since and taking lessons. I started to work on trying to get double tonguing recently, but then went back and corrected my single-tonguing. It is obviously very important that your single tonguing is perfected or done well before double or triple tonguing. I know everyone says "PRACTICE" and that double tonguing should be something like Ta-KA Ta-KA or Tu-Ku Tu-Ku, etc. but the reality is trying to teach someone or explain how to double tongue is about like trying to teach a small child how to swallow a pill. Our body does it but not easy to explain how to make your body do it.

SO if there are some non-sarcastic ways to work on how to work on double tonguing I'm all ears.

9. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, KC!

It's really not that hard. If you can whisper "te amo" to your significant other, that's the "T". If you can whisper "carissima", that's the "K" .

I say "whisper" because you don't want to constrict your throat and get your vocal chords vibrating. Just a breathy "T" and "K". Now, just put your tongue in those positions without actually saying anything, and go "TKTKTKTKTKT..." you are basically double tonguing.

You should also practice going "K K K K K K K " because ideally, your sound on the horn should be the same with a "K" as with a "T".

I'm saying "TKTKTKTKTKT" under my breath even as I type this. AND I'm chewing gum at the same time! ;-).

It's really NOT that hard! ;-)

Guy Clark

10. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    hmm this kinda suxs. i still can't double tongue