When did you learn to double tongue?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oohhh yeah, Feb 20, 2009.

When could you guys double tongue well?

1. high school

55 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. College/University

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. What is double tongue?

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. after college/university

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    The "Ta" sound is made with the tip of the tongue placed behind the front teeth cutting off the airflow and then rapidly moving down to open the path for the air to 'explode' out. The "Ka" sound is made with the middle of the tongue pressed against the roof of the mouth cutting off the airflow and then rapidly moving down to let the air 'explode' out (the tip is down while doing this). So, the tip of the tongue and the middle of the tongue set up a 'rocking motion' alternately cutting off and releasing the air. So, try this slowly until you can detect the cutoff/release in each position. Then, begin to build speed while maintaining the rhythm between the tip and middle.

So, when you say you can't double tongue - do you mean you can't make the 'Ta' and 'Ka' sound at all or just can't do it rhythmically and even?

It may be a bit like trying to rub your head and pat your tummy at the same time but repetition will allow it to become automatic - and then faster - after awhile.

2. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    i think my tongue is too big for my mouth, cuz the ka is VERY slow, and my single tongue is pretty slow too:dontknow:

3. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Haven't learned yet! It's on the list LOL

I try but not quite sure I'm doing it correctly and how the hell do you coordinate the fingers with the tongue? That part got me stumped so far, but I'll get it !! Some how!

4. aboomer90

aboomer90 New Friend

Nov 18, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I've been double tonguing for as long as I can remember, at the very least since my freshman year of high school. It was exciting, because I could do it and nobody else could :D