When do you get tired?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Aug 13, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I usually get too tired to play anything after two hours of straight rehearsal. Also, if I blow too hard, my lips get obliterated and vibrate loosely. What about you? And do you think that my conditions are normal?

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    What matters is what do YOU do when you get tired?

What I do, upon my description of tired, is I play long tones. They're mindless.

My definition of tired is mentally tired. If you're physically tired, you better cool down sooner and break for a while.

3. Rctrumpet1993@aol.com

[email protected] New Friend

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson fl
    Well , now that summers over and were bake at band camp I start to get tired rather quickly when playing in the upper register, over the summer my endurence goes way down because I don't get as much playing time in. During the school year I can get close to three on really good day when she's not working us too hard, lol but normally it's usally around an hour and a half.

4. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
    WOW! it would be GREAT to be back at band camp...for that matter involved in school music program.

For some of us comeback players, we've been away from the Organized music programs for too long. We try to start over. We try to remember our school music lessons etc... its been 15, 20, 25 years or more.

there is still hope. I found a website and this organization for those over 50 to learn or re learn an instrument. It looks GREAT!

New Horizons International Music Association

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    It depends on what I am playing and what else I have played that day. Try and relax and let your chops work. You will be surprised what relaxing will do for your endurance. Don't beat up your face.

6. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Five years ago My lips get tired after about half an hour. Now I can play 3 Hours. Our church brass band practice gets that long before holidays and special events. If you don't warm up you will get tired easily.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    With the right kind of practice, we can fry muscle groups in under two minutes. Endurance is another thing, and if you want to survive a once a week two hour rehearsal feeling fresh, then you'll need to put in two hours each day.

Otherwise, suffer.

gbdeamer likes this.
  8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    +1 for the wisdom...

9. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    Its actually one hour self practice, 4 hour rehearsal EVERY day except Mondays.

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If you don't already have a trumpet teacher I would highly recommend that you find one. Even if it's just a few lesson to get you on track I think it would be a great benefit.

Your previous posts indicate that you have problems with range, endurance, double and triple tonguing, etc. Not something you'd expect from someone who spends so much time on the horn. Since you get plently of playing/practice time, I think you need someone to take a look at what you are (and are not) doing and help you plan a sensible routine.

You'll get LOTS of different opinions on the internet, but none of it will be as valuable as someone sitting right next to you.

Good luck.