When do you know you don't need lessons anymore?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RoccoNut16v, Oct 16, 2005.

1. RoccoNut16v

RoccoNut16v New Friend

Oct 11, 2005
    Texas
    I've never had a private trumpet teacher. I've had a couple of piano teachers. I'm just curious how helpful they really are. I'm a HS senior, and am considering taking lessons, but I never felt like I got anything out of piano lessons, so I'm hessitant. Is there really that much to be gained from private lessons? Can it not be made up for by peer evaluations and private practice time?

I just don't want to waste my time and money, and I know theres some private teachers here, so I'd very much like your input. If you would identify yourself as a teacher or not, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

2. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

In general, I don't think one doesn't ever not need lessons any more. A teacher provides an objective point of view. I am aware of top working pros who have gone for lessons with other working pros to problem-solve.

BTW, I'm neither a working pro, nor a trumpet teacher (although I used to teach privately), nor do I not need lessons anymore. :-)

3. RoccoNut16v

RoccoNut16v New Friend

Oct 11, 2005
    Texas
    Yeah, thats why I mentioned I practice with brass playing friends a lot. We evaluate each other, nobody is ever satisfied, all of us seem to benefit from it. Lessons are still worth it then eh?

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I still take lessons, if that helps you gauge your view.

Also I have many lessons daily by transcribing the masters of improvisation. Those lessons are very inexpensive as well!

Best,

T

5. Trumpet Hobo

Trumpet Hobo Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2005
    Minnesota
    Lessons are FUN and you can learn something from them too!
    (even though I don't take lessons anymore)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    You will only get as much out of lessons as you put into them. Work hard and be driven and you'll reap many rewards from them. Don't work or care about it and gain nothing and lose money.

I know people in major orchestras that still take lessons from people in even bigger orchestras. There's always someone better that can help!

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I have a good friend who is a classical organist. He currently holds ALL of the "degrees" from the American Guild of Organists. (AGO) For those in the know, obtaining one of these degrees is no easy task. Each one requires a great deal of scholarly work and each is also capped off with performace exams.

My friend is 63 years old and is considered to among the masters of the craft.

He still takes lessons.

Someone recently posted a quote from Doc Severinsen that I think applies nicely as sort of an answer to the question: "You never stay the same - you are either moving forward, or you are moving backward. Which will it be?"

As long as you want to continue to move forward, getting an objective opinion or lesson from someone who might know something that you don't, is probably a good idea.

8. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    I'd say that you need lessons untill you get to the level of playing that you want. Anything beyond that is subject to whether you want to learn advanced technique or goto a masters class.

Personally I had five years of classical and jazz lessons/training and that was enough for me. My classical and jazz training got me to a level with which I can pretty well play any style I need to play in a professional gig. Miles had only 3 years (1 at Jilliard) and look at what he accomplished! :cool:

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Yoou can get objecive critique from your freinds/colleagues in the brass section. However, a teacher with years of professional experience has many methods available to solve problems AND to pose new ones. (I'm a teacher, by the way). Like you, I NEVER had private lessons throughout high school or until I reached my third year of college before I transferred to a real music school. The summer before my audition for college is when I began, and I worked hard and learned ALOT from that guy. Had I done that earlier, well, who knows?

A good private teacher can hear things and see things and provide solutions yoour peers cannot, and has a wealth of knowledge about the literature and pedagogical (teaching) methods available. Much like a doctor...you go seeking a solution and the doctor proivides a treatment or prescription.

Further, lessons will encourage you to practice more.

As to your question, I still go get a lesson once in a while (had 2 this summer). Music is a field where you are constantly required to learn and refine in order to move forward, unlike most other areas. Miles did what he did because he was always moving forward, and had the kind of personality to push himself to do so (along with tremendous creativity and talent). Those people are rare.

10. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    You should read "Arnold Jacobs the Legacy of a Master" it has some articles writen by pros that took lessons from Jacobs over the years. These were some of the top players that were still making gains in their playing.

BTW:

I think peer evaluation is great if you are playing a 52 week a year orchestra, if not seek out other advice.