When do you not need lessons?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I can completely agree with this. I think I was framing this too much in my mind (in the context of private lessons for HOW to go about approaching the trumpet). We always can learn from others; no one is above learning, and everyone can/does/should have a mentor. Perhaps sometimes it is not needed for the mechanics of playing, or maybe that is something where at one point we can progress with just practice. Yet music is a vast, vast thing which no one person has completely mastered.

2. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    Absolutely, there are many aspects to playing an instrument, and countless more to musicianship. There is always more to learn. Reminds me, when you gunna give me some free lessons Mark? Lol

3. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    I personally believe you can stop taking official lessons once you developed the fundamentals to trumpet playing. Once all that is in gear and your sound is fluent and rich, then you no longer need a teacher as such. Now all you will need is to keep practicing to keep getting better.

Did Rafael Mendez go to a teacher once he was playing as Pro as he was?

I dont know whether he did or did not, but, once you have all the fundamentals in place, there really is nothing more that could be said, except, practice to perfect the tounge, practice to perfect articulation, practice to perfect tone, practice to perfect dynamics etc.

Once the fundamentals are past, so is the teacher as far as I am concerned.

The only time from here I would go see a teacher was perhaps if I heard something in the style I play that I never thought of, or, that I really loved the idea behind, I would get lessons of that particular person to perfect a particular style, to get the certain concept, to polish up a very 'special' thing you are trying to achieve, but that I dont classify as 'official' lessons as it is very specific and only needed for that particular thing you are trying to achieve.

4. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    Agree to an extent, but i think of this is really conservative. Personally i view my improvement as much more than "what i think" about it. As much as i perform for myself, i play for my audience (even if its my dog!!!) I say improve as much as you can, however you can.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    It really depends on your goals ...
    but I think when you are dead is the best answer

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Once a month should be more than enough.

I regret having NEVER had a music or trumpet lesson in my life, being completely self taught and there are aspects of my playing that show it!

I'd love to get a lesson once a month (no trumpet teachers for 50 miles before you say) , but after 25+ years of playing twice a week in brass bands I know what my weaknesses are.

7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    My "master class" teacher who loves Jack Sheldon said as great a player as he is he still took lessons from a preminant studio musician. My regular teacher still talks about guys he would love to have a lesson with. In a master class, Don E. Johnson would talk about flying to NY to take lesson with Reinhardt and returning just in time to play with the TSO. In short, if you are committed to continual improvement, then you will "want" to continue to take lessons. If you are happy with your own version of good or the status quo, then, I guess not.

BrotherBACH

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    He THOUGHT he was ready....

but
    WHO ends up getting the x-Wing out of the swamp??
    WHO got his hand lopped off and nearly fell to his death??
    WHO let Darth Vader get away??
    WHO let his sister get sold as a slave?
    WHO let his buddy get turned into a popsicle?

We all get caught up in our self importance in a rush to "BE READY"...

I think you can seek out teachers at different stages in your development..
    -Fundamentals & Technical skill <---probably your 1st teacher

Your goals in taking lessons may never get beyond that.... but if you do
    -Study with a great singer to learn phrasing, lyrical playing, musicality
    -Have a busy working pro as a mentor to "learn the ropes"... or if YOU are the busy pro, a retired pro you admire to keep you grounded.
    -Seek out great teachers of other instruments... like guys went to Farkas for breathing.
    -Study with someone to develop a new skill: Improvisation? Composition/Arranging? Transposition? Range/Lead Playing? Symphonic Playing? Solo work?

Have patience!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Never!

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    SOOOOOOOO TRUE!!!!! And to all you HS'ers, there's more to playin' than DHC!!!:-o:D