When do you not need lessons?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Dec 14, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I will disagree vehemently. Wynton could blow the socks off of Bill Fielder, but the relationship was good for both. People in the know don't have to TEACH you new things. They offer insight into your playing, they act as a mirror reflecting what you are doing. They have another angle of looking at what you have achieved. They can challenge concepts, comfort when things aren't going as well as we would like, offer an outside but still trusted opinion. A husband and wife run out of things to "teach" each other, but the relationship still can grow. It is no different with a mentor. You guys that criticize this have NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE MISSING. It makes me sick that these special relationships are reduced to throw away when I am better than you.

2. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mendez' playing fell apart at one point in his life. His Dad brought him back. Why don't you research a little before blogging nonsense?

3. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I'm far from a High school student and when I first signed up for weekly lessons I had an older retired band director that played piano (also professional piano tuner) and taught trumpet and was a trumpet player before physical limitations affected his ability to play.. he was great for fundamentals and a lot of classical teaching such as going through caruso exercises, irons, working on various songs, getting the proper rhythm / timing, and numerous other things.... but he was driving too far for the economy and stopped teaching at my local music store and I picked up with a young guy (musically trained with NYU and also does professional gigs although he can't touch the level of my once a month pro guy that has been doing it professionally as long as I have been alive at that is well over 30 years)... This new young guy has been good for getting me on the scene to watch him perform in some live venues and start working on some jazz methods, etc. but somewhat got away from the fundamentals... although touching base with the local Pro put me right back on some of the Irons, Arbans, etc. and also required that I learn all 12 major keys in order to move farther and I have now done that!...

So I sometimes recently consider whether or not to just touch base once a month with the "real" pro player who is freaking amazing player and teacher, and drop the once a week thing or keep both... I suppose the only reason to drop the once a week would be in the interest of money although I would probably find something else to blow the money on.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The real trick is to keep learning, with or without a teacher, and there is more to learn than any one mind can hold, much less explain.

5. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Seems to me you need a teacher when you are a beginner, and a coach when you are advanced.

And it also depends on what your goals are. My goal is to privately play through and master the beginner's method book I started when I was a kid. Since I've already had a teacher when I began that book, I'm pretty much alright for now.
    Plus, I could really put that money towards some better, or at least better repaired gear.
    Once I'm ready to take it to the next level, an am better equipped, I will evaluate my needs.
    And for someone who wants to go pro, and take it to a truly world-class level, a coach is definitely a necessity.

And, one doesn't have to have a coach that is better than her/him. Look at how many great athletes have coaches and trainers who could not perform at the level of the athlete, and how many how many great performers make lousy teachers.

...Another reason to have a teacher/coach, is to help manage one's direction. They can better prepare one for public performance. They know whether propel you into the next level, or allow you to mature before proceeding.

6. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    i think you're splitting hairs unnecessarily Rowuk. All that you've said, I would classify as as learning. Not all "teaching" is done academically. That being said, you don't have to "end a relationship", but must you continue paying someone who can't help you progress?

7. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    When did I stop needing lessons?

Probably about the the I was getting more paid gigs than my own trumpet teacher was. Circa 1975 - 76. I still wasn't that good of a player but the paid gigs brought another element into the equation. More helpful than those awful (and boringly unmusical) Concone Studies did. Like how to project through night club band music with an unamplified instrument. A useful skill.

They don't teach that at the Conservatory...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's what marching band is for!!! ROFL

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think the problem is deeper - this is also what I experience with colleagues. I work with top singers and fiddlers that do not stop taking lessons - what is the difference? They pay a lot more attention to detail - articulation, color, mood, many other things that those that leave learning mode miss. I do not run into many trumpeters even close to this level of caring.

If "good enough" is your goal, then I guess whatever you can get away with is adequate. If not, then there is some soul searching to do. There were times in my life where a vocal coach worked with me, then a Yoga teacher, then other disciplines. I guess that I have been lucky that even the weakest of my teachers has been able to help me, even if I did some stuff better.

Money NEVER has anything to do with it. If both parties have a higher goal, the economics get solved.

10. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    When Doc Severinsen or Alan Vizzutti start coming to YOU for lessons. :shock::-o:lol: