When do you not need lessons?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Dec 14, 2011.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    This is indeed my goal, so I no longer NEED lessons... I NEED to continue my intelligent practice so I improve.

That said, I occasionally cough up a few bucks for a "lesson" to make sure that what comes out of my bell is good stuff and get some advice to make it better. I am by no means a world-caliber player, I will never BE a world-caliber player, but I can improve at whatever slow rate I improve at.

Tom

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    There is a lot more to teaching the trumpet than just fundamentals. There is a lot more to playing the trumpet than just fundamentals. There's style, how to make things sound musical. How to maintain yourself and keep a healthy embouchure. And so many little things that would take a book to talk about. Learning is progressive. you don't just study with one teacher. You can always move up to the next level and the next and the next. Learning to play is open ended. Plus things get better with age and experience.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Were it possible, I'd still like to study with quite a number of musicians I know about, and it is redundant for me to say that such is many more than one. It would then be my understanding that I'd learn something from every single one. For such I'd commit to 8 hours daily: 9AM until 1 PM, and 2PM until 6 PM.

4. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Asking "When do you not need lessons?" is kind of like asking "When do you not need to breathe?" No disrespect intended toward the OP, but when I was teaching, elementary school students would be amazed when I told them that I still had to practice--kids think you get to be a certain age, and you know all there is to know about your instrument, so there's no need to practice. This is, of course, ridiculous, but understandable, since it's "kid logic". As long as I have breath in my body to play my horn, I'll be studying with somebody, and I'll always need to practice.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    + 100, as such is my philosophy of instrumental music also.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    When do you not need lessons? When you want to stop learning.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    When do you not need lessons? When you achieve perfection.

Hay have you heard this one: Nobody's Perfect.

8. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    You can practice without a teacher.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While you do learn something every time you take your instrument out of its case, such is only the beginning of a practice session or lesson being taught. When will it end? Never ... it lasts through all eternity. No audition required for Gabriel's band. All players welcome.

10. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Interesting discussion / thread in that I have seen other discussions on here where come back players or other people are playing and people promoting or not promoting to do lessons. I would also say that anyone that responded on here that is not taking lessons on a regular basis is blowing smoke up my xxxx... meaning that you can't come on here and say you absolutely have to continue doing lessons but at the same time do not practice this yourself. ...In my case my presumption is that at some point in time you just have to commit time to practice and learning and find various ways to improve yourself and learn which might mean lessons from time to time but that most of your work has to be from within working, practicing, performing and improving.

The once a month with a pro is great with having goals set out and specific direction and know that I will continue to get better, but the once a week lesson is something that I could probably get as much out of just going to the music store, grabbing a room and practicing over my routines myself. Although it is beneficial to have someone on the weekly basis as well to work with, one could argue if it was really necessary or a bit of a overkill.