When do you not need lessons?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The actual need of weekly lesson depends on two factors: 1. Your own level of competence, and 2. The level of competence of your instructor.

The first year I was in college I took two instrumental music classes as both met twice a week plus my performing in the college marching band. The class professor was also the band director. I'll compliment him by saying he was about as good as my High school instrumental music instructor / band director. In the one course I took my second year I had an adjunct instructor who was pursuing his Master's degree, and while I continued in band, his and my personality clashed and I do not feel as if he contributed anything toward my advancement and although I was graded low, I passed. Such was also a consensus of opinion by the majority of others in his class. He gave only 1 A, 2 Bs, 26 Cs, 2 Ds, and 8 Fs. It was noted that he didn't teach the following year, and he hadn't yet received his Master's degree.

Yes, some teachers are very good and some are LOUSY IMO. It is distance now that inhibits me. It's 34 miles one way to a university with a reputable music department. There is a really fine trumpeter on staff who will instruct me occasionally by appointment and he understands and has shown concern for my health and dental problems.

Yup, there are two sides to the coin.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    So far as distance from a reputable instructor... there are a lot of guys that give lessons over the Internet, and with the way technology has changed, and a decent web cam and microphone you could get a near live lesson from the comfort of your home. Not the same as being there in person, but always an option...

In my case I decided that this month (January) that I will transition to doing more lessons with the Pro and none after this month with the local music store that usually offers 'primarily' lessons for grade schools level students although there are a few exceptions to that rule with one other adult other than myself, but I'm twice the age of the other so-called adult.

Another music store (locally) tailors more to the professional level musician and then as well to the various schools around town... with the latter for bread and butter of making a profit. But they had a near-by collegiate instructor come in to do lessons on the side which I would love to get some experience with a major university trumpet instructor, but they are in a very inconvenient location for traveling to.

I figure I will just continue to monitor and adjust as I progress like you have to do with anything.

3. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    You no longer need lessons when you no longer have anything to learn, and when you no longer have any room for improvement.

Maybe when you are in the position of being able to give lessons to everyone else??

4. CuriousMe

CuriousMe New Friend

Jan 2, 2012
    New York
    It doesn't sound like you're really thinking about quitting taking lessons, but re-thinking the value of the teacher who was giving you weekly lessons. To me, that's a huge distinction.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You may find that you have reached a point where yes, you need lessons - but perhaps not a teacher - at least for a while. Your tutor should have given you the skills to self direct your learning, and probably the ability to be able to analyse what you observe.

6. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
  7. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I would say that the confusion on this thread seems to be when you stop learning vs. when you stop taking private lessons. No matter what the craft is, you never stop learning or have things to learn. But this doesn't mean that you have to continue private lessons. Although I will still take private lessons, just more focused ones. (skip the ones from the local music store and just from a local pro)..There comes a time when you have to put the work in yourself to continue to get better... so an analogy might be that one doesn't go to college forever, you get a degree and then you get a job.. Sure you have to continue to educate yourself to keep your trade up to new standards, but that is different. So I would say at some point in time you reach a point where you are not learning anything new with a instructor giving private lessons and at that point it would be advisable to move on. But even from the pro, I got the impression that once you get the sound that you want and you have all of the fundamentals / technical abilities, then the rest is up to you.