When I was a kid...

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by J. Jericho, Dec 6, 2016.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Was your middle name "Woody"?

2. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Was your middle name "Woody"?

3. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I heard you the first time.

4. Brassman64

Brassman64 Forte User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    Kids don’t know what test patterns are.If I got up too early that’s all that was on.I remember the end of the broadcast day they played the US National Antheme or something.https://www.google.com/search?q=TV+...AUIESgB&biw=1366&bih=985#imgrc=rnwxNK248NLDIM:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    BigDub, tobylou8 and J. Jericho like this.
  5. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    My man . . like I've pointed out many times, there is something in this forum's software, since it changed to a "new and improved" version, that conflicts with mine and it does funny stuff. I am not responsible for any such irregularities that it causes.

Brassman64 likes this.
  6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I thought of this thread while listening to the radio yesterday -- the speaker was saying parents who despair at the damage overexposure to modern computer games/social media etc is doing to the kids of today are forgetting that when they were kids their parents despaired at the deleterious effects of TV and video, and their grandparents despaired at the kids' fascination with cars and pop music. Going even further back parents worried about how these new-fangled "novels" would ruin their kids, and so on. I think the point was "don't worry - we turned out fine, didn't we?" yet I sometimes do...

--bumblebee

7. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I know. But you ARE responsible for the content of your posts, my man.

8. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    When you think of it, if each succeeding generation was worse than the one preceding it, mankind would have died out gazillions of years ago.

curlydoc and True Tone like this.
  9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I wonder about that - the decline (if it is real) could be exceedingly slight from one generation to the next perhaps. I thought things were getting worse than ever given the blanket coverage of wars and conflicts, and ever more refugees displaced from their homes, and a shortage of good news stories.
    But before I posted this I looked up the World Peace Index and other measures and was surprised to see the WPI indicated an uptick in peace in 2017 compared to the previous 10 years. I haven't looked deeper into what they were actually measuring but that sounds hopeful.
    In my own lifetime I can point to an improvement in one conflict in particular which was quite bad in 1970's and 80's when I was a kid but which has almost resolved itself over the last 20-25 years.

--bumblebee

Brassman64, True Tone and tobylou8 like this.
  10. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    It wasn't uncommon for streets to be paved in brick. Country roads were often macadam, or more commonly tar-based macadam. While radial tires had been recently introduced by Michelin in Europe, they were a largely unknown thing of the future for the rest of the World.