When I was a kid...

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by J. Jericho, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Brassman64

Brassman64 Forte User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
  2. Brassman64

Brassman64 Forte User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    If you have ever been on a bad road through the Mountains .Believe me there are worse.

3. Newell Post

Newell Post Mezzo Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    San Francisco still has cable cars, and trolleys, and busses, and subways, and trains, and ferries. And they still don't connect with each other efficiently!

4. cb5270

cb5270 Piano User

Jul 20, 2013
    When you really had to watch your step when crossing the street.

In my younger days, Freihofer Bakery of Schenectady delivered bread and other baked goods throughout the city with horsedrawn wagons, kind of like a small UPS truck but pulled by a horse. Around 1950 they changed over to trucks of a similar nature. Eventually, like the milkman, the bread trucks disappeared. Freihofer even had a 15 minute TV show for children on WRGB TV, our only station for several years, "The Adventures of Freddie Freihofer". There was a small audience of kiddies and a fellow came on, made a sales pitch for Freihofer's and told a little story involving the rabbit, Freddie, sometimes to be continued tomorrow, which he illustrated on a big sketch pad mounted on the side of a faux bread wagon. Kids would celebrate their birthday on the show and get a big, gooey Freihofer cake. All in black and white of course.
    Lord, I'm remembering this like stream of conciousness, all triggered by that Chicago link.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    J. Jericho and Brassman64 like this.
  5. Manfredv

Manfredv Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2017
    McDaniels KY
    When I was a kid we had a show on a local station called t bar v. It was hosted by a cowboy and a rodio clown. Randy Acher, and cactus Tom Brooks. On your birthday you could be on that show. I don't remember all the particulars but there was singing and cartoons. The highlight of the program was when you got to show how fast you can draw your 6 shooter. Sounds kinda Hokie but every kid in town couldn't wait to get on TV.

6. Brassman64

Brassman64 Forte User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    Manfredv likes this.
  7. Brassman64

Brassman64 Forte User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    Just a thought.The only time that it didn't matter that your TV was a Black and White is when all the shows were in Black and White.Kids born today can't imagine that other TVs exsisted before Ultra 4k high definition.

Manfredv likes this.
  8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Type "kids react" in the search field on YouTube. There's some cute stuff there.

Brassman64 likes this.
  9. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    It was called "a healthy tan". Now it's properly identified as "irreversible compound skin damage".

Brassman64 and Dennis78 like this.
  10. Brassman64

Brassman64 Forte User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    The ad on billboards.https://goo.gl/images/5fdNhQ

J. Jericho and Manfredv like this.