When I was a kid...

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by J. Jericho, Dec 6, 2016.

1. cb5270

cb5270 Piano User

Jul 20, 2013
    Sounds familiar. Bikes had only one speed, stand up on the peddles to make it up a hill. "Collected" on Saturday mornings, 30 cents a week for 6 daily papers. Some folks paid every week, some might even tip a nickel. Other folks paid sporadically, some short of cash, some stingy, hoping you would forget. Sometimes had to threaten to stop the paper. Every one had a preference for where the paper was left, mailbox, milkbox, backdoor, etc.

BigDub and tobylou8 like this.
  2. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    You have me by a bit on the weekly cost. 6 days cost 42 cents.
    Some would VERY generously give me 50 cents, those were the well off people. Others would give me 45 cents. "Keep the change", they would say, as if I had been given the keys to their Mercedes.
    Then, yes, there were a few, luckily only a few, who would somehow be able to always have that exact 42 cents right there on the hall table, waiting for me on Saturdays.
    And worst of all we’re those who would conveniently not be home, and then I would have to add a stop on Monday, Tuesday, or whenever I could catch them, and they would give me a five cent tip for a month of paper deliveries.

cb5270 likes this.
  3. cb5270

cb5270 Piano User

Jul 20, 2013
    Probably inflation. I was delivering 1953 and into '54

BigDub likes this.
  4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I didn't clear anything as a paperboy. Manager gave me a few papers to sell to guys in front of the chow hall and pocket the money, knowing how many servicemen would beat me out of the money.

One payday, a lot of soldiers told me they didn't have the money - on PAYDAY. I got my next door neighbor who was a serious tough guy and who loved to fight, to return with me. Every guy suddenly found the money, LOL.

Actually, it was a was a guise to sneak out of the house in the morning and grab a smoke before school.

BigDub likes this.
  5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I remember when my stepfather came home, very proud, with his first digital alarm clock... it was electric - the first electric clock in the household! - but it was a mechanical digital clock... it had the numbers printed on small plastic tabs on an axle, and whenever that axle had turned enough, the next number tab fell down... with an extremely audible rattle. You could only adjust it by going fast forward... and if you turned the wheel too fast, you were very prone to overshoot and had to do the whole bally thing again... https://picclick.de/Bosch-Klappzahlen-Wecker-Flip-Clock-UDW2-orange-70er-192494821919.html

6. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Funny, in Thailand they call 'ice': 'nam keng' which means 'water hard'.

tobylou8 and Vulgano Brother like this.
  7. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    When I was a kid, we would have these theoretical intellectual discussions :),
    speculating what might be commonplace. But, I must say, some of the things were followed by belly laughs, like, are you kidding? No way!
    In the future, what if you had to buy water, in a bottle? Bwahahahahaa!
    Pay for TV viewing? Bwahaaaaa! NEVER HAPPEN!
    Everyone have their own helicopter! Yeah, that would be great.
    How about a vacuum cleaner that goes arund on its own and does the work for you? Hahaha
    Sales tax. No way!
    Then there were some local things we would speculate on, like where we wouldn’t be allowed to go or things we couldn’t do anymore, which all ended up happening.

tobylou8 likes this.
  8. Manfredv

Manfredv Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2017
    McDaniels KY
    When I was a kid I can remember listening to a radio interview with a fighter named Cassius Clay. Who later became Muhammad Ali. And he made a comment about how one day there would be a box on everybody's tv that you could put money into so you could watch him fight. My dad said he was full of it. But he was not that far away from the truth.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I had one of those as a kid. Same sort of technology that the air and train terminals used to have.

barliman2001 likes this.
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    When I was a kid, sun screen was not even a consideration. I am paying that price now.