When is a Meter Real: Tom Stevens Master Class

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Richard Oliver, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Posted this at TH and now posting it here. Love you both.

I'd like the widest possible input on this Master Class: from community mooks like me and those who really know their stuff.

I want to take what Tom Stevens is teaching and turn it into usable stuff for our playing.

Watching all 3 vids will take 10 mins. Please, please, please, tell me that won't tax our time too much. This is really great stuff.

And I love the gal playing. She's got a great sound and a wonderfully plucky spirit. Huzzah to her!

Here are the 3 vids (had to break them up into 3 separate posts) with the question how should hobby players take all this to heart? And pretty, pretty, pretty please, watch prior to opining.

Also, please no snarking about posting on both sites. We are all musicians. Got great feedback on TH, but they were from REAL players. I want to hear from more hacks like me. We speak our own "hack" language. We won't find the solution, so we need the real guys big time. But the more mooks the better. Please spend 11 mins to watch all 3 videos. Pretty, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdbXVqFuX4M

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Richard,

Great Vids, I have to refine the Oboe Look, That is priceless and worth the time to watch the Vids.
    He is a hard task-master, but probably necessary at the top end Band level. I think I fit in with that Soloist Group he describes.

I will go look at the complete set of vids.
    Cheers

3. Richard Oliver

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Peter thank-you. I'm really hoping for some substantive discussion. Tom is really talking about very basic stuff that I mess up all the time. And to hear Tom tell it, really good musicians jack also. So, I know I'm asking 11 mins of focused listening and watching, but I'm so hoping we arise as a trumpet community to make the most of this master class. Ty so much for posting.

4. Richard Oliver

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Plus you get to hear Tom play and teach. What a deal, eh?

And push it to HD. Really helps.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I love his distinction between meter and time signature, and yeah, I still call them feminine cadences. I suppose one could call them "yin" cadences....

My students look at me like a crazy person when I tell them to "subdivide and conquer," but part of my training was to subdivide everything and even spend time playing 4 16ths instead of a quarter note until that became automatic. Playing Tower of Power charts in a funk band helped, as did playing Stravinsky and Don Ellis.

In most ensemble music, even classical, there will be some sort of "groove." A Viennese waltz sounds much like a jazz waltz, and a baroque Minuet is not "Boom-chick-chick" but "Boom-boom-chick." Any music can be danced to, I suppose.

With few exceptions, we are pretty much constrained to play the rhythm set before us, but the music will determine which beats are strong and which are weak.

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Thank you Richard, this has been brought home to me recently, at our orchestra concert next saturday we are playing a piece by a modern Australian composer titled "Indian Pacific" representing the train traveling from Perth to Sydney. There are lots of tempo, time signature and meter changes. The most difficult was 5 bars, the first two in 4/4 with 1/8 notes played on 1, 2+, 3+, 4, the next 3 in 3/8 with 1/8 notes played on 2 in each bar. This represents the train going over points. This is not difficult in its self but to get an amateur orchestra of 60+ members to synchronize, Nuff Sed.

Regards, Stuart.

7. Richard Oliver

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Come on guys. It only makes your heard hurt for a moment. And you get a FREE master class. Only 11 mins of our precious lives. This is FREE! Think of the $$ you spent on mouthpieces :-)

Stu and VB ty so much. And feel free to weigh in again and again. All this is the simple stuff we stumble at. It's okay. What happens in TM stays in TM.

8. Richard Oliver

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Jerry, walk us through Tom's critique of her 12th's notes. Or anyone else who hears it. I'm still awash after much tutelage on TH about this. Spell it out like for 5th graders. 100 trumpeters will thank you.