When is a Meter Real: Tom Stevens Master Class

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Richard Oliver, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Okay, one last chance for all who have missed this. A chance to hear great playing and instruction. I know it got the TM "pass." Toss it there one more time for those who have been dreaming of Martins, Monettes, and lead pieces.

And ty for all who have commented. I've the pretty sure 100% notion that there's 75%+ Tm'ers who would do well with a listen.

2. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Rhythm and timing are job #1. That is what my teacher quotes to me all the time. We spend most of my lesson on this. He has been pushing subdividing since my first days with him. I am always supposed to play my material subdivided first in order to place everything properly. This is particularly true when playing a very, very slow piece. Right now it is a critical part of learning my current solo, Ave Maria (Schubert). It has done wonders. I sent him the videos so he can see I respect the advice so much.

BB

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    OK, look. After several posts from you cajoling us to spend time listening to those videos, I did it. Now I've got the magical, musical question - what do you want to talk about? Somehow I've missed the profundity of it all. Maybe if you could point me to the thread on TH you're referring to, I'd have a better understanding. Cause at the moment, I'm just not gettin' it. Thanks.

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Seeing Tom Stevens interact with students, hearing them all play, being able to "sit in" on the lessons thrills me. And I just love it. :-)