when is it tine to find a new trumpet teacher ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jun 2, 2011.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I am a comeback player been playing 2 years now stated at 58 years old and I am not too happy with my teacher who by the way is a pro. He doesn t seem to encourage me and take me seriously and once said to me well dont worry like its not like your getting paid for your playing your doing it for fun Thanks :evil:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Your response to him should be "and what am I paying you for? Perhaps you would consider giving me lessons for free since you feel that way."

Better chance would be to find a different teacher. There are folks around who do care.

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Ooooo. I think it is time to move. My teacher set goals for me. For example, he believes that I can eventually play in the pit of local community musicals. He also said it may not pay much but it does pay. He is also encouraging me to try out for the community wind ensemble. I feel like my teacher believes I can actually play for someone. That has been important to me. Does you teacher believe in you enough to encourage such things?

BrotherBACH

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Get a new teacher if he is not being strict on setting weekly goals for you to achieve, or if he accepts that you have nothing more to learn.

Sometimes teachers also need to know what you expect to achieve as well, and to be sure the goals are realistic. Maybe speak candidly first to him.

I have a typical Aussie openness, and would call my teacher to task if he was flippant with me. My issue is with reading and timing, and my teacher grabs new music for me each week to go through, sometimes duets, and we usually end up jamming - he knows when I have had enough of the legit stuff. I am the last student for the Friday Night, so it is a good way to end the week (for him).

BTW Anthony, do you play ion a Band of any description? If not, then go join one, it really makes a difference if you play with a band, rather than just sit at home with a computer or iPod and play along to tunes. You will learn what's needed by being involved in a band.
    Cheers

5. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Move on Anthony. I recently did and feel much better for it. The fact that you're questioning pretty much says it all. I'm a 40 y.o. comeback/beginner and would leave my previous lessons feeling very discouraged, dejected and hopeless. I wanted to enjoy the learning experience but was seriously wanting to learn. Instead I just felt like I was wasting my teacher's time and paying for the experience.

My new teacher is tremendous and couldn't be more accommodating to my busy work schedule. I've moved ahead in leaps and bounds with some good goals to work towards. I can't believe the pieces I'm playing now (after only a few months). I feel very encouraged and can see some obvious results. I pay for an hour lesson and usually get an hour and a half! I have a lesson tonight and I can't wait – the way it should be!

I hope you can find a new teacher that will understand your goals. Don't waste your time or your money. There will be better teachers out there.

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    On the other hand, if you do not tell the teacher your goals and just show up and say, "lead me!" you might not get what you want.

I don't need someone to lead me by the hand, I'm a big boy, now. I know where my deficiencies are, and I ask for the coaching I want to address those deficiencies.

Tom

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    When is it time? Now. I wouldn't take that kind of attitude, and besides, the student/teacher relationship should be something that matches and meshes well - this clearly does not. I don't mean that a teacher should blow sunshine up your backside, but they should challenge you to reach your full potential. In my opinion the goal of every teacher should be to get their students to be able to handle a real gig should they choose to do so.

Find a new teacher and don't think twice about it. It's definitely time IMO.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Run, Tony, Run. I do llke the "free" lessons approach suggested. Sounds like a jerk. Move on if possible.

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Sounds like you definitely should consider moving on. I'd give it perhaps a last chance and have a serious talk with the teacher to explain clearly to him what your expectations are. If that does not go anywhere, find somebody who cares.

10. Kent

Kent New Friend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    All I can add is that having a teacher who is fully involved in not just your trumpeting but developing you as a musician is amazing. I, too, am a comeback player (56 yrs and 5 years into it now, all with the same young jazz trumpeter and pianaist) and she has been supportive and demanding in my goal to get into a college jazz program. She admitted to me awhile ago that she had her doubts, initially, but by doing the work, she is now convinced as I am that I can do it. She also threw theory, ear training, piano lessons, sight singing, rhythm dication and more than a little trumpet at me. I can't imagine doing this with someone who doesn't enjoy and relish teaching, no matter how much of a player they are. Whatever your goals are, they need to be respected (and voiced).