when is it tine to find a new trumpet teacher ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jun 2, 2011.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    As an "intense" comeback player, I can tell you exactly what I want. Yes, I do get frustrated with my progress. Only because I am almost 50 and want to experience real concert band performance before I lose my teeth. But, I need absolutely no motivation. My love for the trumpet provides me with that. I have arranged my prioraties such that I practice at least one hour a day 100% of the time and two hours a day 97% of the time. Everynow and then I have to miss and evening practice due to work and family obligations.

What I really want from a teacher is to layout a practice program that has me improving if I give "110%". If I am stuck on technique, he or she should be a skilled enough pedagog to help figure what I am doing wrong and how to correct me. Or, deveop teaching cues with an exercise to get me back on track. I expect a teacher to be better than my trial-and-error process.

I am lucky to have a teacher that I like, who is supportive of my "music making". In fact, my teacher is so cool, we both had a master class together with a retired "great" who spent four hours with us. You have to be really confident to allow your student to see you take lessons and make mistakes. We both laughed together because, even in preparing to play the first note, the "master" identified mistakes in breathing. It was all about how we used our bodies to breath.... It was the experience of a life time. Please see the Pink Panther post by Wilmer Wise. It is very illustrative of what we were taught. Look for the hose and the water.

BrotherBACH

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  2. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hello Rowuk thanks for you input one thing I did not understand is that you said it is WAY too early to get on Anthonys case what do you mean ? Thank you Anthony

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Wow! My own efforts toward recovering my capability more likely frustrate me more than anyone else I know. I earlier said a man I was tutoring had died. I liked his verbal "Whoops!" when he caught himself playing a note wrong, and without my telling him, started the selection over. He was enjoying himself. Actually, he was communty band ready, the only deterrent being there wasn't any community band within a 50 mile radius.
    At that time such was my deterrent also.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yep, its time to change now from just what you posted. Another time to change is when the trumpet teacher takes half of your lesson time to try to sell you AmWay cleaning products for you horn.

Here are the top 10 reasons as to when its time to find a new trumpet teacher

10. He doesn't seem to encourage you
    9. He doesn't seem to take you seriously
    8. He trys selling you AmWay products during your lesson time
    7. He says he is a better trumpet player than KingTrumpet
    6. He keeps asking you for your kid sister's phone number
    5. He demonstrates your lesson by playing from the wrong end of the horn
    4. He keeps demonstrating the 1,3 valve combination while his second finger flags you in the face.
    3. He says he stalks you to find out if you are really rehearsing your lesson
    2. He takes a 20 doller bill for a 15 doller lesson and does not provide change
    1. He keeps asking to keep your mouthpiece warm by licking it, only after sucking on your spit valve.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Gmonady, your last comment grosses me out. Uuuuckkk.

6. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Trumpet lessons are a service that you pay for. Like anything you need to just evaluate if you are getting a fair service for the price.

The comments about playing in a local band I would agree with. If you get involved with an ensemble or band or anything else where you have to play in a group then it will help improve your abilities as a player by playing in time and in tune with others.

So far as lessons, I took up lessons soon after a 'comeback' to get me on track and I had a lot of direction in the beginning and homework so to speak, but by the end of using one of the teachers the role reversed somewhat where I laid out the lesson plan, and the teacher was just working on making sure I had the proper technique, etc. I think it is vital to have goals and then build a plan to work towards those goals.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Anthony,
    it is really easy to shoot from the hip in response to just about any question. In this case, I personally feel that MUCH more information/soulsearching is necessary before I can recommend something specific for you. I am pretty sure that TM is not the place for the student and teacher to pull their pants down, so I can't get on your, or the virtual teachers case.

I think one of the worst things that has happened to civilization in general is an oversensitivity to HOW something is said instead of understanding WHAT is trying to be said. To me that is the difference between entertainment and communication. With entertainment, the suitable audience finds the entertainer - the entertainer broadcasts and the audience receives. With communication, people find each other - transmit and receive are required from both sides.

My impression from your first post is that you expect the teacher to broadcast and you should like what you receive. My major point is that the truth ain't always pretty and just maybe your teacher was being "nice". Maybe entertainment is not the right solution for lessons?

At this point, I can't criticize anybody for questionable behaviour. To me it sounds like the problem is communicative and not qualitative. I think that doing a better job of defining goals will be the secret to your happiness. I am not sure if a new teacher is even necessary.

We are surrounded by quitters these days. Major press is devoted to divorces, managers (polititians) being forced to quit instead of having to fix the mess that they made. I do not subscribe to this method of "problem solving". First of all, it solves nothing and second, the problem is often never defined. A happy life to me is a communicative one. If problems arise, put them into perspective, work out a game plan and make it work. Only after a real honest effort can we determine if separation is the right road. Quitting early means that we drag the problem to the next "relationship".

The mirror is often better than the sword when thinking about alternatives.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Only the last one. My ability to generate a top 10 list must be fading.:lol:

9. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    sorry Rowuk my teacher is just not there for me

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Everything you said above, rowuk, is a valuable life lesson. But I still think it is important in the teacher-student relationship that the ability to connect (communicate and understand each other's goals as you noted) is the quality that allows for the most advancement. This results from instilling a keen sense of motivation. If this dynamic (motivation not “chemistry”) is missing, than searching for another teacher is a viable option.

While I agree, just giving up too soon can be equally problematic. I hope this poster knows the difference so he can best decide to stay on and try to make the current situation work or decide to move on. I agree this is not a question about matching "personal chemistry" but rather the ability for the student to be motivated to work hard and progress, if not it is a waste of the teacher’s time and the student's money.