when is it tine to find a new trumpet teacher ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Listening to others is fine, but I don't recommend such in a switch of what you're about to play yourself, and my rationale is that you would tend to become a copycat rather than develop your own sound. I put more emphasis on reading the music. Too, a big mistake that messes up the mind can occur when what you listen to and what music you are reading are different arrangements.

Personally, I never aspired to play in a symphony orchestra and not because I didn't like the music. I just wanted to be more versatile, and my odds of being good enough weren't that high. Further, the cost of living in NYC wouldn't make the ratio of earnings much better than where I now am or want to be. Generally, IMO, in towns that host a symphony, the cost of living is higher and personal space smaller.

For sure, if you aspire to play with any renown band or orchestra the pathway is paved more durably by study in one or more universities or conservatories than it would be with any single teacher that I know of.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    For sure, Ed Lee brings up a lot of key points. The sum of the trumpeter's ability is related to the composite of all teachers and educational experiences.

Anthony, your teacher here may be a task master that uses sarcasm to motivate, much like a football coach to instill questions as to preparedness into the team players. I think it is valuable to be humbled.

You need to ask yourself an important question, have you advanced substantially since you have been with this teacher? And if so, in what ways? If some goals are being met and others not so much, perhaps taking Ed Lee's advice and add additional methods (or teachers) may be your next step.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    For evaluation purposes, both of teacher and student, all that need be discerned is the accomplishment of student improvement without the expectation of concluding as a virtuoso. Even personally, if I wanted more, my butt would be hanging out in a college / university studio. Too, there's a lot to be said of concurrent studies with a mate in the sense that two heads are better than one ... especially when there is compatibility.

I particularly enjoyed the 2 boys I recently tutored for a short time where I perceived the compatibility between them that went to a segment of my sessions that I'd refer to as "jamming".

4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    By all means, it's time to find someone else. Just because you can play doesn't always mean you can teach.:cool:

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A few players may be able to teach / tutor, but IMO such is not the majority.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I believe that whatever the reality is between Anthony and his teacher, the current mood expressed by Anthony will not allow much improvement should he continue. So a new teacher is in order, and in that light, it would be well to learn from the first experience and go into it with expectations clearly stated (by both parties) a the outset.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Absolutely.

Other views expressed in this thread may well be valid, but Anthony has pretty much set himself up to leave his teacher.

On the subject of players becoming teachers, this is what initially started me writing. It is the beginning of my first book, "Play the Trumpet the Jaeger Way" and was the basis of the workshop I conducted at the inaugural Australian Trumpet Guild conference. I describe a Ponzi scheme whereby more players come out of the universities than there are jobs available, so as a last resort they decide to teach (without much understanding of the pedagogy involved).

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Although I've mostly played by myself, such is not my preference and I do believe the goal of most others is to play with at least one other who may provide accompaniment.
    To play with a small ensemble would be fabulous to most.