When Red lost his temper

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Outkastah, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    A friend just sent me this and I thought I would share it with you, Apperently Red was mad th... well you will see. Feel free to watch the whole video or just skip to the end to see Red loose it.

YouTube - Benny Goodman At Carnegie Hall, New York 1974 #4

He is just joking around I think (hope)

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Doesn't look like it at all.

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Wanting to get a new vibraphone ? So does my wife with old plates !

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    It's an act, a joke, a bit. Comedy

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I don't think so. It would be very unusual to treat an instrument like that for a spoof, especially at Carnegie Hall. He's really mad because Benny just goes on with the program and doesn't let him develop his solo, which gets interrupted right when it starts to flow real good. Just my opinion.

6. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    OMG. I just showed this at work and we are laughing until tears come down.

David

7. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    Yeah... that doesnt look like a joke. eh... benny goodman kinda seemed like a jerk to me from some of his interviews, yeah, i respect him as an artist, and his music is great, but this just kinda looked like a jerk thing to do. he should have switched the solo or something, but i get a feeling that he started "jeering" at red by playing random falls. quite unfortunate. it sounded like his solo was really gonna be great. I seriously doubt its a gag, and if it was, then it was well done, but the with the ferocity of the solo that red had, and that reaction? that looked like an appropriate response to the BS that was going down. very interesting. lol, if it is a jest, it was very, very realistic.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I don't like the sound he was getting out of those vibes. Sort of muffled and percussive for vibes.

9. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    I'm gonna have to disagree I thought the sound of those mallets was pretty sweet. A totally new texture that added a little flare. I thought it was rather tasty

10. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    Ah... Mallets and vibes... Two different things. Sorry man. I dig. Lol. But I sure did still like those mallets